Piece(s) of advice for an incoming DO student aiming for a neurology residency spot back home in Chicago?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drthedude

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title says it all. Attending WCUCOM this fall but want to match back home in Chicago for neurology. Looking to do 4th year rotations away in Chicago as well. TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
First advice I can give you is to not limit yourself to one location, Especially Chicago! And especially with Neurology match rate dropping for DOs! Otherwise, just go in and try to learn as much as you can, use good online resources like anki/uworld etc, plan to take USMLE step 1 and 2, avoid getting any red flags like failing classes/board exam or worse repeat a year, and plan to do audition rotations in early 4th year.

Reactions: 1 users
First advice I can give you is to not limit yourself to one location, Especially Chicago! And especially with Neurology match rate dropping for DOs! Otherwise, just go in and try to learn as much as you can, use good online resources like anki/uworld etc, plan to take USMLE step 1 and 2, avoid getting any red flags like failing classes/board exam or worse repeat a year, and plan to do audition rotations in early 4th year.
Thank you! Should’ve specified Midwest as that’s where my fiancé and I would love to go, we both have just lived in Chicago haha, Chicago is home

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just do average on boards and do something to show interest, whether it's an officer at a club or a case report. It's not that hard to match neurology. You just need to have no red flags

Just do average on boards and do something to show interest, whether it's an officer at a club or a case report. It's not that hard to match neurology. You just need to have no red flags
Although, match rate dropped from 92% to 84% this year for DOs.

Although, match rate dropped from 92% to 84% this year for DOs.
It could be due to many reasons. Some people apply regionally, have red flags, etc. I wouldn't overthink it if you're applying broadly with average to above average numbers