1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Best place to do away rotations

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by RN1, Aug 17, 2011.

1. RN1

RN1 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

What is the best place to do away rotations?
    I am looking for a place that offers housing and has no tuition fees for IMGs. I prefer if you don't need a car.
    Please list any good options.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. OveractiveBrain

Removed 2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    1. Places near your family and friends or a place you always wanted to visit
    2. Places known for accepting FMGs into the program you will be rotating in
    3. Places where your exposure can potentially get you a meaningful letter
    4. The United States is a pretty big country. Listing every spot with an away is pretty ridiculous.

4. vicinihil

vicinihil Member
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Application fees are almost standard for US rotators. A few places that waived fees for US rotators still had req fees for away rotators. I think they will be hard to find. Depending on what you're going into specialty wise, finding an away rotation that accepts IMG's will not be easy to find.

I would aim for bigger cities if transportation is an issue but housing is rarely if ever offered and even rarer if for free. I would speak to students at your school that have done aways in the US in the past and seek their advice. They would know a lot better. Your administration might know a few things as well.

5. DrCoffeeBean

Medical Student
    There is an excellent book called 'Medical Professional guide to electives'. It gives a very comprehensive list of US places (and not only of US) where you can do electives, gives contact details and guidelines on the fees, application and general experience. Highly recommend.