Best place to practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

objdoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting to think about life after residency, looking for some direction as to where the most favorable places are to start job hunting. No particular geographical ties here, hoping to go someplace with a relatively low cost of living, and plentiful private group work. Any suggestions on how to start narrowing down metro areas?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are married then you will want to be in a geographic place that keeps your spouse happy. If not married then look for a place that will do this for you. While work is good and enjoyable, it isn't everything and neither is money.
Next find a job that does the type of cases that you enjoy. That is hard to determine early on in your career therefore I suggest a job with a lot of variety. Don't worry, the money will come as will the vacation time. These are not as important in my opinion since nearly all jobs offer more than enough of both. Its also easier to work your way up in money and vacation than to start high and have to give some up by switching jobs cause you weren't happy with your first choice. Rambling a little here but you get the gist.

Members don't see this ad :)
A city where there is a strong economic base....but not a metropolitan area like NY where there is a saturation of our speciality.

A city where there is a strong economic base....but not a metropolitan area like NY where there is a saturation of our speciality.
Hey Mil,
agree 100% but my missus seems to think she will only be happy in NYC plus she has a good job here which means I am stuck in this saturated market..any advice on trying to convince her that life doesn't stop in New York? I am having trouble finding a decent job here or in surrounding area..any ideas / contacts guys? Thanks.

Hey Mil,
agree 100% but my missus seems to think she will only be happy in NYC plus she has a good job here which means I am stuck in this saturated market..any advice on trying to convince her that life doesn't stop in New York? I am having trouble finding a decent job here or in surrounding area..any ideas / contacts guys? Thanks.

Suck it up, if Mrs Stentor is gunna be miserable, Mr Stentor is gunna be twice as miserable no matter how good the gig is.

Hey Mil,

Try taking a vacation somewhere where she may like and where you may want to work.

I have no contacts up there, but know folks in the south.

Hey Mil,
agree 100% but my missus seems to think she will only be happy in NYC plus she has a good job here which means I am stuck in this saturated market..any advice on trying to convince her that life doesn't stop in New York?.

Man, if somebody figures out the answer to this question please send it to

Jet
535 Floodwater Way
New Orleans, La

Thanks.

I figured it would be best to steer clear of the big metros, even though there are probably some great groups there are too many of us. At my large northeastern program, everyone says that the South and MidWest are where the opportunities are. I also hear mixed things about some places: Florida having a bad practice environment in general, Los Vegas having a lot of demand but poor practice conditions. It's all hearsay and rumor but it would be great to have some direction, since I have no idea where I want to end up. Any one have any specific examples of what they are talking about, in terms of cities?