Best places to train

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr 90210

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe this will be helpful for 2007 and 2008 applicants:

According to my impresion and my residents peers impresions in the interwiens and the advice of the plastic surgery faculty in my hospital. The best places to train as a resident are:

1. NYU
2.Pittsburg
3.UTSW
4.UCLA
5.UCSF
6.Harvard
7.UPenn
8.Stanford
9.Michigan
10.Emory

An for train as a fellow:

Hand: Kleinert institute, Union memorial, Bunke clinic, Mass General, Washington U

Craneofacial: UCLA,NYU,UPenn

Microsurgery: M.D Anderson, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Institute, NYU and UCLA

Cosmetic: Manhattan eye and ear infirmary, UAB and PACES

Burns: UT Galveston, Boston Shriners.

Please add any suggestions if you feel that the rank should be different or some program should be instead of those posted above.

Members don't see this ad.

Can't put integrated with independent

I would separate Integrated training:
NYU
Michigan
Stanford
Pitt
UTSW
Penn
Penn St
Northwestern

THen Independent
UCLA
Cleveland Clinics
Emory
Vanderbilt
Duke
Harvard
UTSW (both)
Pitt (1 of 4 independent)

However - I completely disagree with this list
How can anyone rank the "best"? It depends on what you want. Akron has a great general plastic surgery program. Loyola is great for reconstruction/micro and independent decision making, like Emory.
So - I don't think we can say who is best, unless we look at specific variables. Is it best for getting a fellowship? Is it best for cases? Or best for going out in practice?

Thanks

Dr 90210 said:
Maybe this will be helpful for 2007 and 2008 applicants:

According to my impresion and my residents peers impresions in the interwiens and the advice of the plastic surgery faculty in my hospital. The best places to train as a resident are:

1. NYU
2.Pittsburg
3.UTSW
4.UCLA
5.UCSF
6.Harvard
7.UPenn
8.Stanford
9.Michigan
10.Emory

An for train as a fellow:

Hand: Kleinert institute, Union memorial, Bunke clinic, Mass General, Washington U

Craneofacial: UCLA,NYU,UPenn

Microsurgery: M.D Anderson, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Institute, NYU and UCLA

Cosmetic: Manhattan eye and ear infirmary, UAB and PACES

Burns: UT Galveston, Boston Shriners.

Please add any suggestions if you feel that the rank should be different or some program should be instead of those posted above.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are still taking independent positions for 2008
Like other programs (Pitt) they have both types.
Tristero said:
harvard has integrated

yeah, i just wanted to clarify because they weren't listed under integrated.

You have to add UAB to the independent programs. Luis Vasconez is one of the greatest plastic surgeons of our generation. UAB is number one is NIH research money as well.