Best Plan for semi-long study period

Started by cordell58
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cordell58

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay so here is my situation. I was originally planning on taking the MCAT on September 1st of this year but once I began studying I realized that I should hold off (luckily I hadn't actually signed up for it yet) . I decided this because I haven't taken Orgo 2 or Physics 2 yet (taking both next semester) and I would like to have a better grasp on these subjects. However, since I have already purchased and began using the study material I plan on continuing to study until I take it. Does anyone have any good suggestions/plans for studying for the MCAT for approximately 8 months without completely losing my sanity?
 
Maybe for this coming semester,as you are learning orgo 2 and physics 2, look through your study material concurrently to know which topics to really focus on getting an early grasp on. Then study for real closer (~3 months before) to your test date?
 
😎
Okay so here is my situation. I was originally planning on taking the MCAT on September 1st of this year but once I began studying I realized that I should hold off (luckily I hadn't actually signed up for it yet) . I decided this because I haven't taken Orgo 2 or Physics 2 yet (taking both next semester) and I would like to have a better grasp on these subjects. However, since I have already purchased and began using the study material I plan on continuing to study until I take it. Does anyone have any good suggestions/plans for studying for the MCAT for approximately 8 months without completely losing my sanity?

You've already done the most important thing, which is to hold off on taking the MCAT until you finish the pre-req courses. I'd recommend buying a good review book that covers all four of the pre-req sciences and working through the organic and the physics while you take the course. You also should buy at least one practice exam book (preferably two, from different companies) and work through questions while in addition to your course work. I'd set aside maybe 30-45 min 6 days/week to review gen chem and biology and to work questions in these subjects and in the other miscellaneous categories of the exam. The key is consistent and high quality study. Just like learning to play the guitar or learning jiu jitsu, 1hr per day practice is much better than 3 hours every Friday and Saturday. When you get closer to the exam, maybe 2wks out, start working full exams a few times per week to work on your timing and test-taking rhythm, which is important on both the MCAT and even more so on the USMLE boards that you will take during med school.

Leonardo Noto
Physician turned grumpy old writer