Best Practice GRE Tests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raimes

Third time is NOT a charm
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what you guys thought was the most comparable (score wise) practice test for taking the GRE. I took a practice test on mygretutor.com, but was unsure how comparable that was.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I used the Kaplan books and raised my score by 300 points using them! After working through all the problems, the GRE seemed easy in comparison. Since I am an older applicant, I had been away from math for a long time, so Kaplan especially helped me in the quantitative section. I didn't have to improve much on the verbal, so I concentrated mostly on the math. I didn't use any other source, so other practice tests may be just as good, too.

Thanks! And to all that are reading this.. gre powerprep is out of reach for me, I spent the last 3 hours trying to figure out how to get it to run on my mac or my fiance 64 bit computer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah the powerprep software sucks. I attempted to use it on 3 different computers before I found one that worked.

I used kaplan, but found that their tests got repetitive after a couple. I ended up buying the ETS prep book and I thought it was the most helpful. There were 8 practice tests and the questions were comparable to the ones on the test.

I think the ETS book is why I ended up getting a good score.

Goodluck!

My quant. score increased a bunch after sitting down and going through the kaplan math book problem by problem. It helped make sure I understood how to solve problems the correct way before looking for the faster "trick" way. I rarely encountered a problem I couldn't solve.. but solving it quick was the real test :eek:!!

I also found a great website where you can take practice tests. The tests aren't really comparable to the real thing but you can see how you measured up to the average test taker and there are a ton there. Good for practice: majortests.com/gre

I decided to drop the money on a Kaplan course and just go for it. I'm not a pro standardized test taker and needed all the help I could get. I'm thrilled to say its raised my score (at least on the practice tests) over 150 points! If I do as well on the real exam as I have been on the practice tests I'm right on track to get my target score.

I HIGHLY recommend investing in some of the practice books. I'm now a devoted Kaplan customer and found their "tricks" extremely helpful. But I think it all depends on how you learn and how committed you are to actually doing/reading the practice books.

No matter what you use or how you want to try to directly compare the sample exams to the real thing, the best thing to do is practice. Over and over again. The more you do them and review the better your score will be. I promise! Goodluck!