Best process for pediatric ICU path.

Status
Not open for further replies.

I love dogs27

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my end goal is to become a pediatric ICU intensives’t. Hers my question do I complete the ICU fellowship right after pediatric residency? Or should I complete a hospital medicine fellowship before hand?
Thank you for your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Hers my question do I complete the ICU fellowship right after pediatric residency?
Yes

Or should I complete a hospital medicine fellowship before hand?
No

Believe it or not, pediatric hospitalist medicine fellowships are the hardest to match into out of any pediatric subspecialty. I know... I'll let that one sink in.

Believe it or not, pediatric hospitalist medicine fellowships are the hardest to match into out of any pediatric subspecialty. I know... I'll let that one sink in.
They probably shouldn't even have to exist in the first place.

As for the original question, go right into your PICU fellowship, don't waste your time doing a hospitalist fellowship - that again is exploitation.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They probably shouldn't even have to exist in the first place.

As for the original question, go right into your PICU fellowship, don't waste your time doing a hospitalist fellowship - that again is exploitation.
Just cause one climbs up the ranks of the ABP does not make one smart…

Why is this? ???
What? Why is it the most competitive? Because in their infinite wisdom, the ABP/AAP has essentially set the wheels in motion to make it required to be board certified via fellowship in pediatric hospital medicine to be a hospitalist. And so that created a flood of applicants for fellowship for what used to be just part of residency training and there are simply not enough fellowship spots. Eventually there will be, but essentially you now have to complete a fellowship for what is learned in residency.

What? Why is it the most competitive? Because in their infinite wisdom, the ABP/AAP has essentially set the wheels in motion to make it required to be board certified via fellowship in pediatric hospital medicine to be a hospitalist. And so that created a flood of applicants for fellowship for what used to be just part of residency training and there are simply not enough fellowship spots. Eventually there will be, but essentially you now have to complete a fellowship for what is learned in residency.

>80% of peds chairs surveyed against PHM fellowship. But here we are.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Definitely go straight to the PICU fellowship. Can I ask what you were thinking you would gain from the hospitalist fellowship?
Saw it as an option I want to work in the hospital setting (obviously) but didn’t know if it was needed or required.

Status
Not open for further replies.