Best Radiology learning resource for Rad Onc resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fw5tape6kq

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a fourth year going into Rad Onc. After speaking with a number of current Rad Onc residents about making the transition into residency, it sounds like the most common advice and useful skill is to learn how to interpret CTs and MRIs now, before I actually start my PGY-2 year. In Rad Onc, there is no actual formal training in Radiology; basically, you jump right in on your first day with contouring CTs and just learn the anatomy on your own. It was suggested to me that, if I want to teach myself radiology now on my own time, it would be a worthwhile effort to help prepare me for later on. All the other Rad Onc specific stuff is too inscrutable to bother with at this point.

In this vein, I was wondering if you all have any go-to books, lectures, videos, podcasts that you would recommend I look into to help give me a heads up on reading CTs and MRIs before starting out residency. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Read a summary book and you will be the master in a week.

Seriously, there is no way you can learn to interpret CTs and MRs in one year and do it well especially if it is cancer imaging.

Members don't see this ad :)
Read a summary book and you will be the master in a week.

Seriously, there is no way you can learn to interpret CTs and MRs in one year and do it well especially if it is cancer imaging.

I'm really just looking for something basic so that I'm not going in completely blind. I'm not expecting to be any good at it, just a primer to help me get familiar.

The best you can realistically shoot for is to learn basic imaging anatomy and what different tissues look like on CT or different MRI pulse sequences.

Familiarizing yourself with normal anatomy is really all you can hope to accomplish. It is unrealistic to think you will be able to interpret diagnostic imaging with no experience or formal education.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Core radiology is a good general overview.

just draw circles around the part of the CT that the radiologist called 'tumor' and continue to leave clinic at 5pm.

just draw circles around the part of the CT that the radiologist called 'tumor' and continue to leave clinic at 5pm.

Why would they stay in clinic until 5pm?? What is this - a sweat shop?

Reactions: 1 users
Rad oncs are quite good at imaging. Some of you are a little immature. I don’t think a radiologist should make fun of another speciality for shift work mentality.

OP - I would brush up on anatomy, particularly what you feel weak in, and maybe some intro CT and MR physics prior to starting. But you will probably learn it all on the job and from whatever books I’m sure you’ll study for your specialty.