Best resources for rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maddie90

Be the change you want to see in the world
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I’m just starting out my rotations and am on an ambulatory medicine rotation now. I feel like I don't have a good resource that I can use from when I see the patient to when I need to present with a good assessment and plan only 5 minutes later. I have pocket medicine already, but it's not really good for outpatient stuff. I probably use Diagnosaurus the most, but is limited to just the differential. Is there any specific one for a more outpatient clinic setting? I also have an iPad and iPhone. Any useful apps or books I can carry would be much appreciated. Thanks!

-Maddie

Members don't see this ad.

1) As a starting third year med student, you aren't expected to come up with a really good assessment and plan. You're expected to deliver a good history and physical. As the year goes on, you'll be expected to develop a better A/P, but not if you're just starting.

2) There really aren't any great resources for looking things up that quickly. Your best bet is to keep a running list of things you see in clinic and look them up at night or over lunch when you have down time. Then, the next time you see that presentation, you can have a better idea of what to do.

3) You should be reading about common presentations you might see at home. Things like diabetes, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, etc are things you will see all the time in an adult outpatient clinic, so you should have those plans down pat.

4) If you really need to look something up, Up To Date and Essential Evidence Plus are good resources for looking things up quickly, provided that your institution has access to them. You should also download ePSS for screening guidelines for older adults. That'll give you something to talk about in your plan if they're coming in for a routine checkup. Medscape is also a decent reference.

1) As a starting third year med student, you aren't expected to come up with a really good assessment and plan. You're expected to deliver a good history and physical. As the year goes on, you'll be expected to develop a better A/P, but not if you're just starting.

2) There really aren't any great resources for looking things up that quickly. Your best bet is to keep a running list of things you see in clinic and look them up at night or over lunch when you have down time. Then, the next time you see that presentation, you can have a better idea of what to do.

3) You should be reading about common presentations you might see at home. Things like diabetes, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, etc are things you will see all the time in an adult outpatient clinic, so you should have those plans down pat.

4) If you really need to look something up, Up To Date and Essential Evidence Plus are good resources for looking things up quickly, provided that your institution has access to them. You should also download ePSS for screening guidelines for older adults. That'll give you something to talk about in your plan if they're coming in for a routine checkup. Medscape is also a decent reference.

Thanks for the good advice! I am trying to get better and better with each history and physical, but like to challenge myself with coming up with my own assessment and plans too.