This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joan Stewart

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If my ultimate goal is to work as a canine physical rehabilitation therapist, what career route should I take? Veterinarian, physical therapist, or vet tech? What are some of the pros and cons to each? I would appreciate any insight from someone in the field. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If you'll only be happy creating the plan - vet. If you'll be happy doing the work as assigned by someone else - tech. A rehabilitation therapist is a human designation where I'm from and has no usefulness to you at all unless you could also be happy working 9-5 with people and working with animals as a hobby.
It all depends on your personality (and to some, income expectations).

Reactions: 1 users
I wonder how much a vet tech makes with a rehabilitation specialty?

Members don't see this ad :)
If my ultimate goal is to work as a canine physical rehabilitation therapist, what career route should I take? Veterinarian, physical therapist, or vet tech? What are some of the pros and cons to each? I would appreciate any insight from someone in the field. Thank you!
If you're in the US, I would become a vet tech and then pursue certification in veterinary rehabilitation. The cost of getting a veterinary degree is ridiculously high, IMO, and I don't recommend taking on that amount of debt to anyone.

If you'll only be happy creating the plan - vet. If you'll be happy doing the work as assigned by someone else - tech. A rehabilitation therapist is a human designation where I'm from and has no usefulness to you at all unless you could also be happy working 9-5 with people and working with animals as a hobby.
It all depends on your personality (and to some, income expectations).
some human PTs do get the certifications and will work on dogs. It's not common, but it happens. Usually they have to work with a vet

If you'll only be happy creating the plan - vet.

Our teaching hospital's canine rehab program was technically overseen by a DVM (one of the surgeons) but was essentially run completely by a CVT with the usual host of rehab credentials/training. She developed all the rehab plans. She evaluated new equipment, made purchasing recommendations, and implemented new therapies.

So no. You do not <need> to be a vet to "create the plan".