Best route for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stilllooking

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm considering grad. school in order counseling-related work, and I need some advice on what programs to might best suit me and my goals. I plan to work in Alaska, preferably not the big cities (Fairbanks, Anchorage, and, to a lesser extent, Juneau--might consider that one) or the complete "bush." Basically, I want to work in medium to small towns. Being rich is not particularly important to me (though it would be nice!:)), but I'd like to make a decent salarly and live somewhat comfortably, not have to pinch pennies until I'm in my grave. I'd be more than comfortable "moonlighting" in several areas (i.e, health, counseling, adjunct teaching), but my main interest in this area is ultimately in counseling. I'm a current human bio major/psych minor (or at least fairly good list of psych. courses), so that may limit my options somewhat. I do have a strong background in community service, and I'm working on building on that, doing work at health outreach orgs. and crisis lines. I also have some biomedical research experience in neuroscience, so maybe that will help?

About me:
Current GPA: 3.64 (hoping to increase that--last semester was a tad hellish with a ~3.5)
Hopefully, I'll be able to graduate from undergrad. debt free and with ~$30k in the bank, though I'm trying not to count unhatched chickens here. Anything not covered by that or FA, I'll probably take out in loans.

I know a current psych. PhD student, and I'm really intrigued by the strong training they get in psychopathology and the extensive clinical experience they get, at least in their particular program--it seems like they really are trained to handle more or less anything, and I have no doubt they will be an excellent clinician. In deoth of clinical training alone, a PhD or good PsyD program definitely appeals.

My issues with the PhD/PsyD are:
a) the time commitment/expense. Both the extra time and cost of getting a dual degree in psych (kind of heistant about the idea of switching completely out of bio, as I'm really intrigued by my classes and research) and the 5-7 year plus internship commitment required by a PhD. Frankly, I don't want to get into a situation where I'm looking at a debt load that way outways my salary when I'm starting my career at 30+ years old.

b) The scope of ability. I know a clinical PhD prepares you well for work in any number of areas, but I'm worried many of those areas wouldn't exactly be viable in rural and semi-rural Alaska.

c) Admsisions difficulty.

d) Job outlook in AK. I know with a smaller population it would be hard to exactly meek ends meet on the basis on clientele alone, and I doubt the mark for doctorate level clinicians is exactly booming in the rural areas.

An MSW appeals to me because I won't have to switch my degree, the degree itself would take less time and cost less, and because it seems like the scope of the MSW would better suit my desired area (i.e., I could do LCSW counseling and health work in community health centers, casework, etc.). My issues with the MSW are:

a) Low pay. I keep reading about the horrific salaries for social workers, though it looks slightly less bloody for LCSWs. I worried I'll have no way of making a "livable" salary and paying off the debt I'll probably accure for grad. school.

b)Clinical training. Simply put, I don't want to be a incompetent clinician, and I'm a tad worried about the vast difference between clinician training (psychopathology and treatment) between PhD/PsyD programs and many MSW programs I've looked at. Does anyone know of any MSW programs with a particularly strong clinical focus.

c) Admissions difficulty?

d) Job market. Is it true the MSW market is that flooded?

As for MA/MS psych programs, I've looked briefly into them. I like the clinical focus most have and the fact my psych. coursework may be sufficient, but I'm really wary of them because of the fact LPCs/LMHC don't get Medicare/Medicaid reimbursement , they seem to lack the versatility of an MSW, and admissions barriers to a non-psych degree holder. How's the salarly outlook? Would it be that much higher than an LCSW?

Am I wrong in my reasoning? What do you think would best suit my goals? Basically, I like the time/cost of an MSW, but I'm worried about the low salarly and clinical training or lack there of.

Thanks for reading all this and any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

A couple of quick points:

If you get into a fully funded Ph.D. program, there is no need to have any debt. The program will completely pay for your education and also pay YOU for being there.

There's no need to be a psychology major in order to get admitted to a clinical Ph.D. program.

I would presume that the questions you're asking cannot be answered in a general sense. Alaska is a unique state, and so the same rules do not apply to competitiveness, market dynamics, etc.

I think this program sounds good for you if you intend on staying in Alaska and plan on working in the community with rural or indigenous populations:

http://psyphd.alaska.edu/