Best route to becoming a physician scientist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kled2000

Reaction score
Greetings,
I’m a medicine ungrad in Jordan. Still at my first year.
Since i was a high school senior i came across a video of a physician scientist on YouTube explaining what he does and the massive variety of the things he does on a daily basis and ever since I knew right away that this is my dream career!
Unfortunately though there are no md/phd programs in Jordan and the university I’m in offers very minimal if not no research opportunities at all for undergrads. So most likely I will graduate with an unattractive research CV .
What is the best path to becoming a physician scientist in my situation? I don’t want to necessarily live or pursue graduate education in the USA and i get that this is a mostly US based website.
I have read that if i do a phd that will affect my clinical efficiency and all research track residencies require research experience.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

You can try to attend an European based (or Australian) university seeking to do a 3-4 year PhD after your MD completion. During that time, you could be doing some bench or translational research. Then, pursue a residency... However, you also need to understand the job qualifications needed for the position that you want to practice. In the journals where I am member of the editorial board, I see very few manuscripts submitted/published from the Middle East. The reality is that if you want to get back to Jordan, the opportunities to practice as a clinician-scientist are likely limited. There are might be better opportunities to practice some level of research and medicine at a medical school in one of the wealthy countries of the Arabian peninsula.

Reactions: 1 user
You can try to attend an European based (or Australian) university seeking to do a 3-4 year PhD after your MD completion. During that time, you could be doing some bench or translational research. Then, pursue a residency... However, you also need to understand the job qualifications needed for the position that you want to practice. In the journals where I am member of the editorial board, I see very few manuscripts submitted/published from the Middle East. The reality is that if you want to get back to Jordan, the opportunities to practice as a clinician-scientist are likely limited. There are might be better opportunities to practice some level of research and medicine at a medical school in one of the wealthy countries of the Arabian peninsula.
Yes I know that physician scientist careers don’t exist outside of academia in the Middle East. Ideally I would like to pursue a career abroad.
Is it common for phd students (with a MD) to do some clinical practice to keep their skills sharp? And if not does that affect residency application ?

Most clinical rotations in US/Europe/Australia are heavily regulated preventing people like you from doing clinical practice while earning a PhD. Informal shadowing agreements (without hands-on) might help overcome the perception of rust...