Best route to practicing Medicine in the US - Europe vs Caribbean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adoran

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Simple question (or maybe not that simple).

My ultimate goal is to practice medicine in the US - Anesthesiology and Emergency Medicine both seem like interesting specialties, I won't know more until I get some clinical experience. Oh, and if it makes a difference, I'm Norwegian. Anyways, what is the easiest way for me to get into the US Medical system? As I see it, I have a couple of options.

1) Study Medicine in a European country (Denmark and Hungary are my top contenders. UK/Ireland would've trumped them both, but since Norway is one of the few European countries to not be in the EU (What the hell is wrong with our government?), I'd have to pay around $50,000 a year for the good schools, which I simply do not have.
Hungary because I've heard it's very rigorous and you have to learn everything down to the most minor details - Should be good prep for the USMLE
Denmark because it's free for Nordic residents, and also a "western" country. Though that might not matter much to people in the US, I don't know.

2) A Bachelor's degree somewhere + Caribbean. With more US clinical practice, and a program tailored to the American system, it might help me more.

Primarily, what I'm concerned about, is the conceptions of medical professionals in the US; the people who decide whether or not I get a residency, and after that a fellowship, and after that a permanent job.

Which path do y'all think is best?

The way I see it:

Hungary
+ Cheap
+ Rigorous
+ Only 6 years
- Tailored to European medical curriculum
- No organized USMLE prep

Denmark
+ Free
+ Only 6 years
+ "Western"
- Lower academic quality than Hungary (less rigorous)
- Tailored to European/Nordic medical curriculum
- No organized USMLE prep

Caribbean
+ Tailored to the US system
+ Organized USMLE prep
+ Plenty of US clinical experience
- Expensive. Very expensive.
- Takes more time, since it requires a Bachelor

Anything to add? Any comments from US attendings would be worth go.. scratch that, I don't have gold. Lots of e-hugs :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry I don't have much advice to offer, but I am sure there are plenty of people here who can help answer your question.
I DID want to point out however, your comment about the Caribbean being expensive. I thought it was a little funny because here in the US, Caribbean Med schools are the last resort only and (correct me if I am wrong - this is the impression I was given) less expensive than not all, but several, med schools in the States. Also, free or even "Cheap" Med school in the US is unheard of. So consider yourself lucky in that respect if you chose either of the European routes. That said, that also makes me wonder about the quality of the school and what sorts of programs they offer? I wish Med school Here was Free!!!! :laugh: That'll never happen though! lmao

Ya never know. Obama is trying his hardest to make the US more like Scandinavia :p

Medicine in Denmark is free.. But the income tax in Denmark is a whopping 63%. But there's nothing wrong with the quality :)

Norway - Free
Denmark - Free
Sweden - Free
Hungary - Around $8-10,000 a year.

And for EU citizens, UK/Ireland costs like $6,000 a year (USD). Buuuuttt.. Since Norway's not in the EU (No, I will NEVER forgive Norway for ruining my chances of studying Medicine in Ireland), We have to pay anything from $30-80,000 a year. Gotta love it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Adoran.

You pose an interesting question. I never thought about this, just started med school, and then later became aware that I wanted to practice in the US.
I'm Danish, and currently in my 6th and final year of med school. I'm doing a couple of rotations in the US, so I'll be able to obtain some LOR's and gain some insight of the US medical system.

I'm very happy about med school in Denmark. We have a very high quality of education, and the curriculum certainly covers above and beyond what you need for the USMLE exams. Only problem is that the education is not minded on the USMLE exams (no multiple-choice questions, no "buzzwords", only hardcore learning).
I think learning the minute details taught in Hungarian schools will have very little effect on your performance on the USMLE exams... you can study hard for 6-8 weeks (or 6-8 months as many of the IMG's in here), and you can get a very good score... it's up to you, not the curriculum taught in med school.

I would definitely choose staying in western Europe for med school. I don't think it would help you going to a Caribean school, since these are the last resort for US students who couldn't get in to med school in the US. Some of these schools may be very good (I have no idea), but I think they will always be regarded as schools for those who couldn't get into med school in their own country.

On the other hand, going to med school in your own country (or Denmark in your case), will show that you were able to compete with the best students ín your own country, and that's a big plus...

Most people around the world know the level of education in western European schools (England, Ireland, Denmark, Sweden, Germany, France etc), and most find it to be equal to that in the US or Australia.

If I had to choose again, I would choose staying in Denmark for med school, performing well on the USMLE (which I did), and getting some US rotations...

I hope this can help a little, but please feel free to PM me for more questions...

Lars

hey guys i read all your conversation , i have a doubt is there any chance that i can do my clinical rotations in any of these european countries you stated i am doing my preclinical-3 in caribbean medical school.....

Caribbean
+ Tailored to the US system
+ Organized USMLE prep
+ Plenty of US clinical experience
- Expensive. Very expensive.
- Takes more time, since it requires a Bachelor

Hey, look into the "Big 4" caribbean med schools. Maybe you alredy have but check out SABA univ in particular. Tuition may surprise you..