Best schools for diabetes research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcchicken1985

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I was wondering if any of you had opinions on which schools have good research programs/centers/faculty for diabetes research, as well as good clinical preparation.

Some of the names that pop up are NY city schools (high incidence of type ii diabetes, lots of nih funding)

feedback appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

If you mean at the med school level, WashU is a good one; my dad, who is an endocrinologist, trained and taught there and it has one of the top 5 hospitals for endo, plenty of grants, great,renowned endo staff, and a great DPP program headquarters (Diabetes Prevention Program). otherwise i have no idea what undergrad schools have good diabetes research . i bet, however, that most med schools will have endocrinology research opps and on staff endocrinologists. and i bet if you are saying NY schools are good b/c of high incidence of Type II diabetes, you would find a ton more patients in the south...people up north (especially NYC) walk on a regular basis and are half the size of people down south. the south is a diabetes gold mine.

Members don't see this ad :)
McDonalds College of Medicine.

When I think of diabetes research, I always think of Doug Melton, a developmental biologist at Harvard, who pioneered their stem cell research because both of his children have type I.

The United States of America is a diabetes gold mine.

It is researched everywhere

http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/statistics/prev/state/fPrevalence2005Total.htm

as i said before, the south is a diabetes gold mine if the OP is looking based on prevalence of diabetes. as this CDC released chart/map shows, the states in the south have the highest prevalence. note, that i never said that diabetes wasn't researched everywhere in fact i actually said most medical schools will have endocrinologists and diabetes research.

NYMC isnt a huge research school, but they gave me a grant to research diabetes this summer in spanish harlem out of one of our teaching hospitals, public Metropolitan hospital at 96th st and 1st ave.

Thanks for the excellent advice.

I guess that I should have made my question a little clearer. I am interested in pursuing endocrinology research during medical school, and was wondering which schools had good faculty and grants for clinical/basic science work in the diabetes field. I know the school that I choose (IF i get in) doesn't really matter too much since I could do an away rotation at another school in endo, or take a year off between MS2 and MS3 to do one of the HHMI or NIH programs.

The University of Alberta is doing some good work in islet transplantation. Not necessarily just diabetes but very closely associated.

One of Harvard's affliated institutions is the Joslin Diabetes Center in Boston.

Take a look at the affiliations of the investigators of some of the most recently published research studies in whatever field interests you. That's where the work has been done most recently. That's a relatively easy thing to do... you can always ask a librarian's help in doing a search of the biomedical literature in the topic that interests you.

Panda Program at Medical College of Georgia, Dr. She, is doing a continuing study following 10,000 babies that are carrying the Type I gene to see what triggers this gene to express itself sometimes and lay dormant other times.

The study of diabetes should really be divided into Type I and Type II because the diseases are very different.