General Admissions & OTCAS Best Schools to Apply to with Low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bellaot

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for advice or experiences from people who got into an OT program with a low GPA. I'm feeling really discouraged as this is my second round of applying and I'm worried I will never be able to bring it up enough. I'm willing to move almost anywhere to make it happen.

Members don't see this ad.

I feel you...I have a 3.27 and thats without OTCAS fudging it up like they have for others in the past. We got this!!! Not sure if you can, but I'd get some volunteer hours in and try to add to your app that way. This is what I did!

I'm looking for advice or experiences from people who got into an OT program with a low GPA. I'm feeling really discouraged as this is my second round of applying and I'm worried I will never be able to bring it up enough. I'm willing to move almost anywhere to make it happen.

Hey, I know a girl who got accepted into Barry University in Florida with a pretty low gpa.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 3.06 GPA and I got into 2 programs (out of the 10 I applied to). I did well on the GREs (160 V, 158 Q), did a lot of observation hours in 5 different settings, wrote a great personal statement, and got good LORs. During the few interviews I got invited to, I really tried to get across that I have a good understanding of what OT is and why I want to join the profession. There are going to be some schools that see a low GPA and throw away your application, but a lot of programs truly look at each applicant holistically. You just need to cast your net wide and not let rejection get you down.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a 3.06 GPA and I got into 2 programs (out of the 10 I applied to). I did well on the GREs (160 V, 158 Q), did a lot of observation hours in 5 different settings, wrote a great personal statement, and got good LORs. During the few interviews I got invited to, I really tried to get across that I have a good understanding of what OT is and why I want to join the profession. There are going to be some schools that see a low GPA and throw away your application, but a lot of programs truly look at each applicant holistically. You just need to cast your net wide and not let rejection get you down.
Would you mind telling me which two schools you got into?

Thank you for the advice, that is really helpful!

Would you mind telling me which two schools you got into?

Thank you for the advice, that is really helpful!
I got into Philadelphia University and Salus University, I'll be attending Salus!

I live in California and was feeling very nervous about applying as I had a low undergrad gpa. My OTCAS gpa was just over a 3.0. What I decided to do was focus on schools that looked at last 60unit gpa since that was about a 3.7 for me and I had about a 3.4 prerequisite gpa . I ended up applying to 7 schools and got accepted into 3. All 3 that I got accepted to were in CA. These were St. Augustine in San Marcos, Dominican University, and SMU. I felt like these schools truly looked at my whole application and not just my gpa. Make sure to have great letters of references from people who you really have had a long term connection with and know you well. Also I had a lot of volunteer work outside of my OT hours for organizations that I am passionate about. I also had extracurricular activities, leadership positions, and included how I played sports and was a youth coach in college. When I spoke to one of the professors who gave me my acceptance call she said that this was a huge part of my application because it showed that I was a well rounded person who would work well with others in the program. It took a lot of work but it’s definitely possible. If you have any other questions feel free to let me know or pm me.

I live in California and was feeling very nervous about applying as I had a low undergrad gpa. My OTCAS gpa was just over a 3.0. What I decided to do was focus on schools that looked at last 60unit gpa since that was about a 3.7 for me and I had about a 3.4 prerequisite gpa . I ended up applying to 7 schools and got accepted into 3. All 3 that I got accepted to were in CA. These were St. Augustine in San Marcos, Dominican University, and SMU. I felt like these schools truly looked at my whole application and not just my gpa. Make sure to have great letters of references from people who you really have had a long term connection with and know you well. Also I had a lot of volunteer work outside of my OT hours for organizations that I am passionate about. I also had extracurricular activities, leadership positions, and included how I played sports and was a youth coach in college. When I spoke to one of the professors who gave me my acceptance call she said that this was a huge part of my application because it showed that I was a well rounded person who would work well with others in the program. It took a lot of work but it’s definitely possible. If you have any other questions feel free to let me know or pm me.
Hi! What other schools were you looking at that consider your last 60 credit GPAs? Thank you!!