General Admissions & OTCAS Low GPA, do I have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purple tennis

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im going to graduate soon hopefully when I do my academic update I will be at a 3.1 before deadlines are due January 15th, 2022. My pre-req GPA is going to probably be 3.5/3.6. On top of that, I am graduating in 3 years. I have 240 hours of interning at a day program with dual-disabled adults, I have about 50 hours of volunteer work at a nursery, I volunteered over 2.5 years (75 hours) at a hospital doing various tasks, and I am currently shadowing an occupational therapist in an outpatient setting (I have about 15 hours under my belt before I turn in my application but plan to get at least 50 hours during my winter break). I'm going to ask the OT for a rec letter but I currently have recs from my supervisor at my internship, the head of the kinesiology department in my school, and the director of the nursery program at the church. I am in the process of conducting my senior kinesiology research project and will be completed with it by the time im graduated. I was also granted a scholarship that is a program that consists of student leaders promoting diversity and inclusion on campus. I'm looking at WMU and Grand Valley (these schools don't require shadowing or GRE) so far but looking at all these amazing profiles makes me feel like I won't have a shot. So my question is, will my GPA hold me back? do I even have the possibility of getting in?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Im going to graduate soon hopefully when I do my academic update I will be at a 3.1 before deadlines are due January 15th, 2022. My pre-req GPA is going to probably be 3.5/3.6. On top of that, I am graduating in 3 years. I have 240 hours of interning at a day program with dual-disabled adults, I have about 50 hours of volunteer work at a nursery, I volunteered over 2.5 years (75 hours) at a hospital doing various tasks, and I am currently shadowing an occupational therapist in an outpatient setting (I have about 15 hours under my belt before I turn in my application but plan to get at least 50 hours during my winter break). I'm going to ask the OT for a rec letter but I currently have recs from my supervisor at my internship, the head of the kinesiology department in my school, and the director of the nursery program at the church. I am in the process of conducting my senior kinesiology research project and will be completed with it by the time im graduated. I was also granted a scholarship that is a program that consists of student leaders promoting diversity and inclusion on campus. I'm looking at WMU and Grand Valley (these schools don't require shadowing or GRE) so far but looking at all these amazing profiles makes me feel like I won't have a shot. So my question is, will my GPA hold me back? do I even have the possibility of getting in?
Hey! I just recently got accepted to OT school and I believe you definitely have a chance of getting in. A lot of schools are looking at candidates more holistically. I believe all of your shadowing hours and other activities will assist with your application. More than anything I would say stay confident! and work very hard in your last semester of school.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! My cumulative GPA was lower than yours after graduating from undergrad and I was accepted into two programs! I definitely think that your experience will help you because more schools are starting to look at students at a holistic pov. Don't give up!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I just recently got accepted to OT school and I believe you definitely have a chance of getting in. A lot of schools are looking at candidates more holistically. I believe all of your shadowing hours and other activities will assist with your application. More than anything I would say stay confident! and work very hard in your last semester of school.
Thank you, what school did you get into?

Hey! My cumulative GPA was lower than yours after graduating from undergrad and I was accepted into two programs! I definitely think that your experience will help you because more schools are starting to look at students at a holistic pov. Don't give up!!!
Thank you what programs did you get into?

I agree with everyone so far! My overall gpa was a 2.8 and prereq gpa was a 4.0 but I got interviews for 3 schools(Loma Linda, WCU, stanbridge) and accepted to west coast and stanbridge so far! GPA isnt everything so prepare well for your interviews and make sure you are passionate in your personal essay. The only thing is I shadowed in multiple OT settings and had close to 300 hours with different OTs which I think helped. I would recommend to get more hours from your OT and even volunteer in at least two diff OT settings before you apply! These are just suggestions :) goodluck

Reactions: 1 users