Best shoes for surgery rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skarl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Danskos/clogs? Running sneakers?

Trying to make a purchase and get the most value out of it i.e. shoes I could wear in the OR and in more professional settings (e.g. clinic). Any recommendations from those often on their feet?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Danskos are my pick - specifically dankso professionals. The pro XP ones have a softer sole, but I have really high arches and get better support out of the original professional line, but it’s just going to depend on your foot which of them will feel better for you. You need to know that you’re going to require some break-in time when you get them, though. The first few days they aren’t a whole lot of fun.

Extra bonus if you get the patent leather is you can hit it with the most material unfriendly bleach wipe after something nasty falls on your feet and it will come away squeaky clean. I don’t recommend trying this with fabric sneakers.

A solid black pair of danskos (or neutral, whatever) goes great under both scrubs and dress pants. I’ve worn danskos to job interviews, med school interviews, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Plugging Merrell Encore Gust clogs. Love these things.

I bought a pair of the black Birkenstock Birki's ~7 years ago when I was working in the OR before medical school (and even on some overnights as an EMT). I wore them on all my rotations during medical school. Super easy to clean by wiping down with any medical grade wipe (purple top, gold top, blue top, etc). I replaced the corkbed inserts this past summer prior to starting my away rotations and they continue to hold up extremely well. Unless the sole/toe wears out, I likely wont be buying another pair of OR shoes.

I would also recommend compression socks. I personally find these a good value.
Amazon product

I bought a pair of the black Birkenstock Birki's ~7 years ago when I was working in the OR before medical school (and even on some overnights as an EMT). I wore them on all my rotations during medical school. Super easy to clean by wiping down with any medical grade wipe (purple top, gold top, blue top, etc). I replaced the corkbed inserts this past summer prior to starting my away rotations and they continue to hold up extremely well. Unless the sole/toe wears out, I likely wont be buying another pair of OR shoes.

Amazon product

Are those footbeds similar to the ones you get on normal non-medical Birks? I would wear my Birk sandals every day for the rest of my life if I could but I tried a pair of the profi Birkis a while back and they felt stiffer. Do these ones conform to your feet at all like the regular Birks?

Amazon product

I second this. I have danskos and I like them, but the birkis are more comfortable to walk in for me personally (flat pancake show versus a tall tower shoe that's just waiting to roll your ankle).

Danskos were super uncomfortable for me during my surgery rotation. I personally run a lot so I just used my old running shoes I'd broken into and they were 1000x more comfortable than the Danskos I'd bought specifically for surgery/OB. I wonder how much of this Danskos thing is visual/brand obsession because I got comments from people that my Danskos looked super comfortable o_O. Now I could see how some would think the running shoes were not professional, but I don't see how Danskos are more professional, some are basically slip ons. Again, probably just because so many people wear them. I also think scrubs match with running shoes far more than anything brown/dark leather which I personally think looks stupid.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Don't wear your OR shoes to clinic if you're dressing up for clinic. Just wear some beat up sneakers in the OR and nice shoes in clinic.

If you decide you like surgery and end up in a surgical residency, get some dedicated OR clogs or whatever. I'm a fan of rubber clogs for long OR days, otherwise just sneakers when I'm running around between the OR, ICU, etc. Clogs like Danskos are not easy to walk in—as a med student on surgery you will probably be running around a bunch.

Reactions: 1 users
I wear my regular nike running shoes. Change into dress shoes for clinic. Never had a problem

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely Merrell Encore clogs. They don't look as tacky as the Danskos and are super comfortable. They're also leather so you can throw a white coat on if you have a half day in clinic.

I wore Adidas shoes with boost, never had any issues. I'd rather go barefoot than wear those hideous clots. Also notice a lot of people in Hoka's.

Danskos were super uncomfortable for me during my surgery rotation. I personally run a lot so I just used my old running shoes I'd broken into and they were 1000x more comfortable than the Danskos I'd bought specifically for surgery/OB. I wonder how much of this Danskos thing is visual/brand obsession because I got comments from people that my Danskos looked super comfortable o_O. Now I could see how some would think the running shoes were not professional, but I don't see how Danskos are more professional, some are basically slip ons. Again, probably just because so many people wear them. I also think scrubs match with running shoes far more than anything brown/dark leather which I personally think looks stupid.

I love my Danskos and got them cause everyone at my hospital had them but they aren't for everyone. I did try on the XPs and the professionals and the newer XP model felt better so that might be a reason. Another popular pick at my hospital were Calzuros but I preferred leather clogs over the rubber ones because I could get away w the leather ones in clinic too.

I’ve been wearing my Merrells. They’re very comfy and have helped keep my back from hurting.

Definitely Merrell Encore clogs. They don't look as tacky as the Danskos and are super comfortable. They're also leather so you can throw a white coat on if you have a half day in clinic.

Merrells are where it's at.
I like the Jungle Moc. Easy to wear, easy to clean, looks professional in OR or clinic. 5 years of daily wear in general surgery residency, and still going strong.

Also recommend compression socks.

Merrells are where it's at.
I like the Jungle Moc. Easy to wear, easy to clean, looks professional in OR or clinic. 5 years of daily wear in general surgery residency, and still going strong.

Also recommend compression socks.

The jungle moc is what I have. I love them.

Reactions: 1 users
When you're working with docs, always trust the doc - Dr. Scholls comfy gel insoles + tennis shoes of your choosing

I'll be the stereotypical Texan on this thread: cowboy boots. Can't beat em.

i worked with a CT surgeon who trained at Texas Heart who wore cowboy boots, brought his own collection of CD music and played country while doing surgery.

More surgical residents/faculty at my home institution wear boots than those that don't. If you can get a good pair, they're worth their weight in gold. Unbelievably comfortable, great support, durable, easy to clean, and last for years.

I don't have them, but people swear by All Birds. THey're water proof and comfy apparently.