Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Best Shoes to wear while ON CALL

Discussion in 'Pediatrics' started by desiree, Feb 14, 2007.

1. desiree

desiree Member
    7+ Year Member

I just came across these amazing shoes in one of the airport shops. I couldn't believe how comfortable and stylish they are . Come intern year (in a few months) I will own a few pairs of these shoes. I just wanted to pass this on to anyone who's been wondering what shoes to wear when on call. The best thing is, that you can decorate them with these cute little things (as seen on Oprah)-damn why didn't i think of something so simple.
    Anyways the website is www.crocs.com and no I am not working for the company :) oh yeah and if you're a girl check out the 'mary jane' very cool.
    good luck in the match. :luck:

2. sunnyjohn

sunnyjohn Got Mustard?
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I have five pair. They sit along side my Dansko's.

My feet never hurt after hours in the OR. :thumbup:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DOCTORSAIB

DOCTORSAIB Ophtho or bust!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. PathOne

PathOne Derminatrix
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  5. medstudent99

medstudent99 Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    crocs' are awesome...ness :laugh:

6. surrender903

Physician Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    im not sure i can wear those, i wear orthodics... they do look spiffy though.

7. blanche

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
  8. ekydrd

ekydrd Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Wear anything comfortable enough to keep on your feet for 30+ hours at a time... while constantly on your feet, walking/running from one end of the hospital to another. I have a variety of shoes I wear... Nike running shoes, Merrill clogs, Birkenstock clogs, Dr. Scholl's tenny clogs, etc. What I wear on call depends on how much my feet already hurt that morning (hey, I'm old and have arthritic feet, what can I say?). It may take some trial and error to come up with the "perfect" call shoes. And as for Crocs... some hospitals have a policy against shoes with holes in the top of the foot, so check the policy before investing too much money.

9. edmadison

edmadison 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Ours recently implemented an anti-Croc policy and boy are the residents pissed. I just wear my sneaks.

Ed

10. OP
    OP
    desiree

desiree Member
    7+ Year Member

The 'Professional' Croc model has no holes on top, so i think it would be ok to wear it in a hospital.

11. Dr.McNinja

Dr.McNinja Nobel War Prize Winner
    Moderator Physician Faculty Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Not to say you are maybe behind in times, but seriously, you just noticed crocs?
    Comfy, yes, stylish, in the eye of the beholder.

That is all.

12. faerichilde

faerichilde Member
    7+ Year Member

Don't wear sneakers on call unless you know there is no way you are going to have a chance to lie down. My first night on call as an intern in the NICU, I slept with my sneakers on because I knew if I got called to a delivery, I wouldn't have time to put them on. Now I always wear my danskos on call.