Best Specialty for...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

closest to criteria?

• internal medicine

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • family medicine

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • pediatrics

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • surgery & subspecialties

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • obstetrics and gynecology

• emergency medicine

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • neurology

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • psychiatry

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • dermatology

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • otolaryngology

• ophthalmology

Votes: 8 4.1%
  • orthopedics

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • anesthesiology

Votes: 41 20.9%
  • pathology

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • radiology

Votes: 23 11.7%
  • physical medicine & rehabilitation

Votes: 22 11.2%

• Total voters

automaton

drone
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. someone extremely lazy
2. no intellectual interest in medicine yet doesn't want to be bored
3. hated first two years
4. far from AOA material
5. wants to make good money - doesn't need to be great
6. needs some prestige
7. not good at small talk
8. cares enough about patients to be civil but not enough to cry for them or whatever
9. likes having a life outside of the hospital
10. hates derm

what is the specialty that comes closest to these criteria?

Members don't see this ad.

automaton said:
3. hated first two years
4. far from AOA material
6. needs some prestige
8. cares enough about patients to be civil but not enough to cry for them or whatever
10. hates derm

those are the same things i'm looking for...

Sounds like you should do EM. One of the lightest work-weeks (in terms of raw hours) in medicine, you certainly don't need a burning "intellectual interest", you make decent money, you get respect from laypeople (if not necessary the rest of the medical profession), and you don't need to get touchy-feely with the patients.

Members don't see this ad :)
Psych all the way. If you are not thinking in EM, people can die.

sacrament said:
Sounds like you should do EM. One of the lightest work-weeks (in terms of raw hours) in medicine, you certainly don't need a burning "intellectual interest", you make decent money, you get respect from laypeople (if not necessary the rest of the medical profession), and you don't need to get touchy-feely with the patients.

i'm kind of surprised so many people have picked EM. most EM docs i've met are some of the most people-friendly outgoing doctors i've met. You only have precious minutes in EM to get a patient to trust you and open up to you--if you don't really care all that much about patients, you're going to have a hard time getting them to trust you quickly. that leads to poor patient relationships, misdiagnosis (esp. in EM), and lawsuits (again, esp. in EM).

dr.z said:
Pathology?

i was thinking anesthesiology or pathology. sorry, but you gotta do some thinking.

Last edited:
automaton said:
3. hated first two years
4. far from AOA material
6. needs some prestige
10. hates derm

Do you think you'll be happy doing anything in the field?

Radiology ( if you don't mind analyzing pics) or anesthesiology. By the way, I agree with you on numbers 5,6,7,8,9. I suck at small talk, cannot see myself crying for a patient and defintely want a life outside of medicine, definitely.

Members don't see this ad :)
automaton said:
3. hated first two years
4. far from AOA material
6. needs some prestige
10. hates derm

your criteria do not logically agree

lazy people don't make good money. people far from AOA don't land specialties with prestige. stuff dealing with material outside of the scope of the first two years will require small talk.

put them in order of importance so people can better help you out

Radiology; you get to sit in a small dark room all day flipping thru dual monitors looking at films. No patients to bother you and you can take your time making a decent diagnosis. Well, maybe a reasonable amount of time. No patient's and their families staring at you from across the ER, or anything.

Paws said:
Radiology; you get to sit in a small dark room all day flipping thru dual monitors looking at films. No patients to bother you and you can take your time making a decent diagnosis. Well, maybe a reasonable amount of time. No patient's and their families staring at you from across the ER, or anything.

sorry, noone who is "extremely lazy" will get into rads, especially if they are "far from AOA material." Rads also requires an intellectual interest in medicine.

doc05 said:
sorry, noone who is "extremely lazy" will get into rads, especially if they are "far from AOA material." Rads also requires an intellectual interest in medicine.

anyone who is "extremely lazy" and "far from AOA material" won't match into any specialty with "prestige," "good money," and a "life outside of the hospital." maybe they don't deserve to.

Have you considered the MBA?

liverotcod said:
General surgery.

You have got to be kidding, young Badger!!!! Just wait until you do your Surgery core in MS3, and you will realize what I am talking about. ;)

Sometimes you get these wankers who want to get the perks and don't want to get dirty...tsk tsk.

In life, there is no such thing as an easy way out.

noncestvrai

How bout pimpin yourself out to the pharm industry lecture circuit.

You'll get paid as your being jetted around to resorts.
It should't require much effort since they basically tell you what to say.
Definitely no intelectual interest in the accuracy of your b.s. necessary and it would serve you better not to be too overly concerned with those pesky patients.

sounds like a dead ringer for you.
;)

Hmmm...as of now anesthesia is in the lead with 21%. Pretty surprising as far as I am concerned. I mean yeah, the lifestyle and money are attractive...but these guys/gals are by no means stress free or divorced from intellectual engagement. Dealing with critically ill ICU patients, and maintaining homeostasis in surgical patients requires an impressive understanding of physiology and an ability to manipulate it pharmacologically at a moments notice. Granted, 95% of the time surgical cases follow protocol from intubation to extubation, but it is that last 5%, when a pt. is crashing/bleeding out, with a funky rhythm and vitals falling that an unparalled comprehension of "how the body works" and an intellectual capacity to determine "what the hell is going on with this pt." comes in useful.This is where these folks earn their money...well that and an impressive procedure skill set. You have no buisness in anesthesia if you had no interest in pharm/physio ( 1st/2nd yr material).No offense, but medicine was probably not the best option for you if you are lazy.....4 years undergrad, 4 years med school , 4-8 years residency... The smart option would have been dental/law/buisness school....in terms of years invested to salary earned. Best of luck in your decision.

thanks for the great advice everyone, i've decided to go into academic neurosurgery.

Pox in a box said:
Dentistry.

I second the motion.

I would've put it down at first, but your list didn't specifically mention a pathological obscession with clean teeth and a daily devotion to circle-jerking.

automaton said:
3. hated first two years
4. far from AOA material
6. needs some prestige
10. hates derm

I like your style, man. Don't let the gunners on this board get to you, medicine is a friggin job at the end of the day, not a purpose in life. I'd go with Rads if I were you, but that's just me. Anesthesia and EM are nice too, both have too much patient contact for my taste, though (yes, anesthesia has too much patient contact, you heard me right).

automaton said:
thanks for the great advice everyone, i've decided to go into academic neurosurgery.
Have you considered rural-area transplant (heart, kidney, AND/OR liver) surgery?

Mumpu said:
Psych all the way. If you are not thinking in EM, people can die.

ahaha! :thumbup: If I feel the need to slip into a daze of boredom, zone out and stare at the wall, I want to be able to compile a grocery list and not feel like I'm missing much.

I would go for psych too.

It's a bit lacking in the prestige department and you might have to engage in some small talk, or you could just do that Freudian thing where you sit there like a stone wall and wait for the pt. to start talking, forget the technical term for that, but yeah.

I know a doc in public psych and he gets to hear all kinds of interesting stories from drug addicts and strippers, gives them some SSRIs, and is out of the office every day by 5. :D Very little on-call too.

I have to admit, I am kinda like you in some ways. It's nice to see more slackeresque people on here. :D

automaton said:
3. hated first two years
4. far from AOA material
6. needs some prestige
10. hates derm

You sound perfect for psych. 1 through 5 is a shoe-in, however 6 & 7 will pose the biggest problems for you.

Then again, I would suggest winning the lottery. I think that would satisfy all criteria. I for one and foregoing the lottery and trying to get rich playing online poker.