Best Stafford Lenders

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3 little birds

Breathe.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out who top borrow from for my stafford loans. My school lists Edamerica, Sally May, and Chase, but I have also looked into Wells Fargo (If I'm reading their website right you can get a loan of up to $10k at a rate that is very good if you have good credit). Does anyone have any idea how to choose?

Most lenders seem about the same, with a 1% origination fee and similar terms. Am I missing something that I should consider?

Members don't see this ad.

Check out AllStudent Loans. It has an awesome discount of around 2.25% when you begin repayment if you use an automatic withdrawal. I think it's only for CA residents, but it's pretty much the best I've seen thus far.

Be careful when choosing lenders based on special offers. As those of us who had graduate loans with T.H.E. learned, many of the special offers can be withdrawn at any time due to changes in the market... Read the small print!

Also, talk to financial aid at your school. My last school had stats on what % of students actually end up qualifying for “good payee” incentives with different lenders. For one reason or another (consolidation, late payments, clerical/filing errors, change of address leading to missed bills, change of bank leading to halt of automatic payment...) many of the lenders only end up giving a small portion of their students the advertised discount. It’s a hassle to do the research, but it’s probably worth it.