Best Study Guides, Podiatry Boards Part2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

podgrad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am sure this question has been asked before 100's of times. I do not see anything recent. But before I get into it, let me give you a little background.

As my name suggests I graduated many years ago from Pod school. We had to take and pass Part 1 and I did with studying for only about a month or less. That is supposed to be the hard one. Those that passed where happy, those that did not asked for some direction on the re-exam.

We had to SIT for part 2, but NOT pass to graduate. No one really talked about this after the test, so I never really knew how many actually did pass, I did not, nor did I put much into it for studying, since I thought I knew enough ( I did pass Part 1, with little studying), so I failed this test.

After graduation, I did obtain a residency ( at time there were more one year programs, not like now.) But, still not everyone had something right off, but eventually everyone pretty much got placed.

I never went into practice, still need Part2 & 3. So I moved back home, took some time off & then started to study, only to fail again. The problem was that I was not in Podiatric environment and was studying by myself. Not sure if I had the right materials, but think I did. I had a lot of Radio, & Derm, both of which were hard to study for.

So, here I am many years later & older wondering do I try again. I stopped studying years ago. Would I pass, would I get a program, etc? Are my books outdated?

I used Presby, Pod Med Pearls, Foot & Ankle Secret, some Pocket Podiatrics. And was reading books. Maybe I overdid it. My Presby is ancient. Though I see there is a newer one out that can be downloaded.

I was not impressed with the PI Manual, I have an older version & it did not detail things like my old Presby.

So....my question is: What are you using to study for Part2. I see Prism mentioned, but do not known what that is, and some other things as well.

Any help appreciated and if I can be of any help to you , let me know.

Thank you, I know this was long. And best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

wow,....over 200 views & not one comment or suggestion.
Can someone tell me the latest version of Presby?

Is anyone even studying?

Members don't see this ad :)
According to SDN, use these books:

General Pod - Dr. Meyr's Prism externship guide (will always be free and can be easily found online; there is also an ipad app), Pocket Pod

Derm - Dr. Vlahovic's skin disease of lower extremities

Radiology - class notes, Christman radiology book

Public health/jurisprudence/epidemiology - Pearls of wisdom chapter

Medicine - step up to medicine

Anesthesia - McGlam chapter (3rd ed)

Surgery - Easley (technique, pearls and pitfalls during proc)

-Prism, yes.
-Pocket Pods, very much yes.
-I personally liked PI Manual, but most people like Pocket pods.
-Old McGlamry's anesthesia chapter - yes.
-I don't know if there was really enough derm on the exam to justify buying a derm book, but I'm sure that's a great book.
-My radiology questions wouldn't require Christman. Many of them were questions concerning specific radiology manifestations of weird diseases. I think you'll find them in Pocket Pod or PI Manual - one of those two. Again - not a knock at Christman, but there's just only so much time to study and so many pages you can hope to read.
-Step up to Medicine - yeah. Probably just read up on cardiology, endocrinology, and ..strokes.
-Easley is a great book during 4th year, but it isn't a board prep book.
-You will need to read up on biomechanics. There are a bunch of questions where you have to do the silly varus valgus position math ie. the tibia is here and the calcaneus is here - what happens next.

Ultimately, there's a document that is out there for each our boards that lists all the things that in theory you need to know with some things rated higher than others. If you read through that then in theory there shouldn't be any surprises. Focus on the high yield stuff.

Reactions: 1 user