best study tools for DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pdiddy310

Med School 4.0
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm beginning my DAT preparation in 3 weeks and was wondering what books, courses, tapes, etc. helped each of you out the most.
thanx.

Members don't see this ad.

Pdiddy310 said:
I'm beginning my DAT preparation in 3 weeks and was wondering what books, courses, tapes, etc. helped each of you out the most.
thanx.

kaplans for sciences,barrons for pat,topscore cd..maybe some schaums if you really want to kill the bio and chem sections..beyond that you're good to go.

pbure said:
kaplans for sciences,barrons for pat,topscore cd..maybe some schaums if you really want to kill the bio and chem sections..beyond that you're good to go.

Wow. That's a lot of study material. What do you think of the "DAT Secrets" book? Also, where can I get a practice exam online?
thanx again.

Members don't see this ad :)
you do need those books if you want to hit the 20s+

none of them cover everything in full and therefor you need to get things from other books

practice PAT as much as possilbe

inaddition look into the DAT forum they have alot of info

If you register with Kaplan for free, you can take a free practice test online.
The Kaplan book also contains a CD with a practice test. :)

topscore is fantastic, if you only do one thing, know those tests like the back of your hand

Precarious_Yups said:
I studied for 3 months:
took Kaplan
read the Kaplan book and Exam Kracker book
supplemented reading w/ Barron's gen chem

Went to all the classes... not much help, except PAT tips were :thumbup:
basically, I read the Kaplan book through at least a dozen times. Read it until I had the pages where specific topics were on memorized (good indicator of study habit). AFTER mastering the Kaplan book I began to add the Exam Kracker stuff. This lasted ~2 months... I was up to the point of reading the Kaplan book 2x AND exam kracker series bio, gchem, ochem 1x each per day. For 3 weeks I did questions ONLY (supplemented questions wherever I found them-- had multiple sources, e.g. Princeton, Kaplan, etc etc I focused in on my weak points and studied the sections religiously. For gchem, I purchased the green barron's gchem book... i loved (it's like an AP Chem or beginner's chem overview-- it was worth supplementing) I also found a couple of old school gchem question books online and knocked them out too-- as you notice gchem was my weak area. I did this until 2 weeks before my test. I did the DAT diagnosis, midterm, and final 2x each then all of the Kaplan full length DATs on cd-rom. I did #2 and #3 in one day. The last couple of days I did the Scholarware DAT prep for pc... by the time I was through with these 2 weeks, my mind was not tired at all by taking the DAT. During the test I felt extremely comfortable and did not score below a 20. Good luck.

yikey-wikies! that's a tremendous amout of studying... i took kaplan as well but the review book is still sitting in the shipping carton it came in. i can't believe you had the patience... congrats on a well-earned excellent score!! :thumbup: