Best summer research programs for gen surg?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DOtoHeartSurgeon

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
I am planning on going to a top gen surg program (interested in NYU). I was wondering what are the best summer research programs for gen surg. I failed first year, so i want to be the most productive i can.

Members don't see this ad.

I hate to be that guy, but your chances at surgery at all are already low. That means your chances at NYU are effectively none. I would refocus efforts into making connections at some low ranked program that may be more forgiving once they get to know you

Reactions: 6 users
I hate to be that guy, but your chances at surgery at all are already low. That means your chances at NYU are effectively none. I would refocus efforts into making connections at some low ranked program that may be more forgiving once they get to know you
Ok, but you did not answer the question... what summer research programs are there? What are the good ones for connections and output?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, but you did not answer the question... what summer research programs are there? What are the good ones for connections and output?
The best opportunities would come from within your program. You should contact your clinical department and ask them if they have rotations in surgery at academic centers or with people that are affiliated. You may have to contact these people and find out if they have research opportunities. If you just go and do some big established NIH funded research, it will likely be at a place that won't even consider you for residency

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The best opportunities would come from within your program. You should contact your clinical department and ask them if they have rotations in surgery at academic centers or with people that are affiliated. You may have to contact these people and find out if they have research opportunities. If you just go and do some big established NIH funded research, it will likely be at a place that won't even consider you for residency
OK, but doing research a top places is prestigious. Honestly, it seems like a lot of you are against me, and trying to put me down.

OK, but doing research a top places is prestigious. Honestly, it seems like a lot of you are against me, and trying to put me down.
I don't know you. Why would I care to put you down? I'm trying to save you the heartache of going unmatched by tempering your expectations. I've seen people without repeat years and excellent CVs go unmatched simply for being DO. If you feel differently, by all means pursue the path you think is best. Good luck

Reactions: 6 users
You and the other 1/2 of the first year DOs thinking they will be the one to break into Ortho, ENT, opthmo, plastics, etc.

We just trying to help you set you set realistic goals so you don’t get burned to hard come match day.

You and the other 1/2 of the first year DOs thinking they will be the one to break into Ortho, ENT, opthmo, plastics, etc.

We just trying to help you set you set realistic goals so you don’t get burned to hard come match day.
How come you say that? I am doing general surgery you know? That is completely different than those.

How come you say that? I am doing general surgery you know? That is completely different than those.
They had 13 residents this year. 7 went to NYU, and 2 went to UCLA.

But hey, you never know, "ambitious people will always rise to their level of incompetence."

Reactions: 1 user
They had 13 residents this year. 7 went to NYU, and 2 went to UCLA.

But hey, you never know, "ambitious people will always rise to their level of incompetence."
I was using NYU as an example lol. What is the point of putting people down on here? Does that make you feel good?

I was using NYU as an example lol. What is the point of putting people down on here? Does that make you feel good?
Dude they're really not trying to put you down. People can be harsh or direct on here for sure, but this is a time when it would behoove you to listen.

Please try to look at your situation objectively. DO gen surg match rate is 60-something %. The majority of the people who even applied (aka did not self select out) likely do not have a major red flag like failing first year (guessing that means you failed more than one course?).

If match rate is 60-something % for no red flag applicants, do you really think it is wise for you, as a red-flag-having applicant, to carry on that pathway? Do you really want to end up unmatched or SOAPing?

Reactions: 4 users
With a repeated year, and no good story behind/reason behind it. You will may even find it hard to match decent IM/FM places. Giving you benefit of the doubt and you have an amazing story, and you are still going to be screened out by many programs

Members don't see this ad :)
With a repeated year, and no good story behind/reason behind it. You will may even find it hard to match decent IM/FM places. Giving you benefit of the doubt and you have an amazing story, and you are still going to be screened out by many programs
I failed because I did not know how to study. Now I learnt. Is that a good reason?

I thought that most top surgery programs were like IM in that they won’t take DOs regardless of resume. That’s not to say that you wouldn’t have a shot at low tier university or a solid community surgery program. But even if your resume was perfect, top places like UMich would be out of reach just because of the degree

I failed because I did not know how to study. Now I learnt. Is that a good reason?
No, it isn't. The only worse reason than that is saying you didn't care about school. Good reasons are things like death in your family or becoming the sole caregiving to an infant with disabilities

As mentioned by multiple people, nobody is trying to put you down. People are trying to be nice to you by helping you focus on an attainable path. Remember how you couldn't get into an MD school? Now imagine that you will be competing with some of the best students from MD, DO and international where 99.9% of them haven't failed a class and 99.999% have not failed first year. Do you think that makes you competitive for any top surgery program? Do you think someone in surgery will see you spent a month at [top summer research program] doing research and say "whoa, this guy crunched a few numbers or put liquids in a pipette, we better take him over the person with a step of 260, no fails and coming program MD school?" We are trying to tell you that if you work toward a realistic path like matching at a decent community program, you may have a chance, but you don't want that. Go ahead. Go unmatched, but don't come back here crying

Reactions: 4 users

You failed a year. Your chances of matching general surgery are basically zero unless you become an elite student at this point, and even then with the failure the chances are less than 10% because you’ll get filtered out.

General surgery isn’t ENT or ortho, but it’s just below them. Your credentials up to this point simply aren’t good enough for ANY program right now, and best case scenario for you is that you turn it around academically, audition your butt off, and match a former DO program.

You failed a year. Your chances of matching general surgery are basically zero unless you become an elite student at this point, and even then with the failure the chances are less than 10% because you’ll get filtered out.

General surgery isn’t ENT or ortho, but it’s just below them. Your credentials up to this point simply aren’t good enough for ANY program right now, and best case scenario for you is that you turn it around academically, audition your butt off, and match a former DO program.
General surgery is just below ENT or ortho? Sorry, but the data does not show that at all.

With a new profile and controversial opinions you came here to ruffle feathers OP. It's been done before. Every year. If it is advice you want, you've gotten it. If it's to get some kind of argument going then too bad because that is a tired path that most won't take anymore.

General surgery is just below ENT or ortho? Sorry, but the data does not show that at all.
It does actually. If you want to match to an established MD program then yes that's where it's at.

But you came here with all the answers already, so good luck becoming a surgeon.

People at my low tier MD school are recommended to attend 20 general surgery interviews to be comfortable with matching. I would imagine it’s even harder for non USMDs

Reactions: 1 user
It does actually. If you want to match to an established MD program then yes that's where it's at.

But you came here with all the answers already, so good luck becoming a surgeon.
People said the same thing about me getting into medical school. I worked my ass off and did it. Same thing will happen for surgery, I think so, especially since I learnt how to study now.

People said the same thing about me getting into medical school. I worked my ass off and did it. Same thing will happen for surgery, I think so, especially since I learnt how to study now.
You ended up at a DO school my friend. No hate to DOs as I am one too, but we didn’t get into NYU. You may find a low tier community surgery place that will take you but high end programs are out of the questions

I think we have seen enough data points to surmise the OP is either a troll or someone who is unlikely to benefit from continuing on SDN

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.