Best Time Frame

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ericdamiansean

High Profiler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know, when would be the best time for an IMG, right after graduation, to start the entire whole process for Step 1, 2 etc so that the entire process of application is shortest?
I heard that Step 1 is taken in July? Can both be taken at the same time to decrease the amount of time needed prior to the CSA etc?
Perhaps an example like:
July: Step 1 etc
Sept: Step 2
Nov: CSA
Jan: Match etc
(I know the above is a really bad example)

Members don't see this ad.

You can take the exams at any time and for Steps 1 and 2, in any order (you must pass both Steps 1 and 2 before taking Step 3).

Step 1 is usually taken by US medical students between the end of 2nd year and the start of 3rd, so around May/June, but you can take it anytime you want, throughout the year.

I do not think there is any restriction to taking Steps 1 and 2 close to each other, although "at the same time" would be difficult if you mean taking them back to back on the same days...but I suppose its possible. I took Step 1 in September, and Step 2 in early October. I wanted to know I passed Step 1 before going onto the rest of the exams.

The earlier you take Steps 1 and 2, the earlier you can take CSA.

aim to have everything in by october of the year u apply. make sure u apply on day one and then whatever else needs to be added can be uploaded to the ERAS. for example if it is an LoR u upload in lets say November, upload it then but also email it to the programs u applied to.

also apply wide. i applied to 170+ programs and got 48 invites.

Thanks!
I was thinking of working in my home country for a year and along the way, sit for all the exams etc. I hope having some working experience would help me in the CSA