Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Best Time Frame

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by ericdamiansean, May 9, 2007.

1. ericdamiansean

ericdamiansean High Profiler

Resident [Any Field]
    I would like to know, when would be the best time for an IMG, right after graduation, to start the entire whole process for Step 1, 2 etc so that the entire process of application is shortest?
    I heard that Step 1 is taken in July? Can both be taken at the same time to decrease the amount of time needed prior to the CSA etc?
    Perhaps an example like:
    July: Step 1 etc
    Sept: Step 2
    Nov: CSA
    Jan: Match etc
    (I know the above is a really bad example)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    You can take the exams at any time and for Steps 1 and 2, in any order (you must pass both Steps 1 and 2 before taking Step 3).

Step 1 is usually taken by US medical students between the end of 2nd year and the start of 3rd, so around May/June, but you can take it anytime you want, throughout the year.

I do not think there is any restriction to taking Steps 1 and 2 close to each other, although "at the same time" would be difficult if you mean taking them back to back on the same days...but I suppose its possible. I took Step 1 in September, and Step 2 in early October. I wanted to know I passed Step 1 before going onto the rest of the exams.

The earlier you take Steps 1 and 2, the earlier you can take CSA.

4. sga430

sga430 Banned
    Banned

Resident [Any Field]
    aim to have everything in by october of the year u apply. make sure u apply on day one and then whatever else needs to be added can be uploaded to the ERAS. for example if it is an LoR u upload in lets say November, upload it then but also email it to the programs u applied to.

also apply wide. i applied to 170+ programs and got 48 invites.

5. ericdamiansean

ericdamiansean High Profiler

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks!
    I was thinking of working in my home country for a year and along the way, sit for all the exams etc. I hope having some working experience would help me in the CSA