Best time to do sub I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bla_3x

Grip it and rip it!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When is the best time to do your Sub I-audition rotations in medicine or EM (haven't decided)? I am guessing Sept would seem ideal, but is June july Aug too early for programs that you are interested in? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It seems to me that earlier is better. That way you can squeeze in an elective afterwards before you've submitted your ERAS. Also you may have another recommendation letter for ERAS.

carrigallen said:
It seems to me that earlier is better. That way you can squeeze in an elective afterwards before you've submitted your ERAS. Also you may have another recommendation letter for ERAS.

I'd agree with this. There is a school of thought that if you can put it off a bit, you'll have more "prep time" in order to really shine during the sub-I. But I don't know... after an entire year of clinical medicine, another rotation or two probably won't make a huge difference in your general ability. I did my sub-I immediately upon entering fourth year. You may be a little rusty on some pure medicine topics if you haven't been on a medicine ward in awhile, but read like a bandit during every spare moment and it'll all come back.

a few of my intern buddies wish they had done their Sub-I towrds the end of the year because they felt really rusty at teh beginning of their internship. For this reason, I chose to have my Sub-I later in the year and have a chill FM elective as my last rotation. It may not be vacation but at least I will have weekends off and continuing to sharpen my skills.