Best time to Start studying for MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Agent47

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be sophomore this year ...And I was wondering that waht's the best time to start MCAT discussion and Study. I haven't even looked at the book yet. Please some advise would be great!! Thanks in Advance!

Members don't see this ad.

In utero.

In all seriousness, generally a few months before you take the actual exam. Take a practice test before you do anything, just to get an idea both about the layout/timing, as well as seeing what areas you need to improve.

You can also check the MCAT forum for advice.

I 100% believe that your undergrad courses should completely get you ready for the MCAT (bio, chem, ochem, physics) the amount covered on the MCAT is NOT that much stuff, its all basic understanding of concepts and reading comprehension/reading graphs, etc.
The MCAT books just regurgitate what you should already know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I 100% believe that your undergrad courses should completely get you ready for the MCAT (bio, chem, ochem, physics) the amount covered on the MCAT is NOT that much stuff, its all basic understanding of concepts and reading comprehension/reading graphs, etc.
The MCAT books just regurgitate what you should already know.

That will depend on the extent to which your core courses will cover Physiology, Genetics, and Biochemistry, which pop up from time to time. I had an entire section in BioSci that dealt with a diagram I only saw in Human Physiology, for instance, and the other non-trads with whom I took the test described genetics and biochem questions that weren't on mine, nor covered in classes I had.

I will be a soph this year too....I was planning on starting to REALLY buckle down starting the winter break into july and take the test in August...I am taking 19 credits this Fall (3 credits in research) so I will take a super-light load in the Spring so I can study.

does this seem reasonable to you guys? Is there even a test this August 2008?

Seems way too early. I'd start studying no more than 3 months before the test. Of course, YMMV.

I've heard people recommending to take upper level courses like Physiology and Biochem...but I will only have that chance during Junior year.

My question: When do MOST students take the MCAT? End of Sophomore or Junior year? Would it be wise to take the test ONLY when I am scoring where I want to be and feel confident?

I've heard people recommending to take upper level courses like Physiology and Biochem...but I will only have that chance during Junior year.

My question: When do MOST students take the MCAT? End of Sophomore or Junior year? Would it be wise to take the test ONLY when I am scoring where I want to be and feel confident?

You can take end of sophomore year if you feel confident enough. You can take during the spring of junior year if you're applying to matriculate right after you graduate as well. It is entirely up to you.

You can take end of sophomore year if you feel confident enough. You can take during the spring of junior year if you're applying to matriculate right after you graduate as well. It is entirely up to you.

Thanks. Just curious, when are you taking it?

What if I want to do a summer internship? Would it be feasible to do the internship and study for MCAT at the same time? I need some more EC material.

Yes! Do the internship it would be a great experience, but plan on not having a life next summer.

Do internships typically last all day Mon-Sun? Or are they either during the mornings or afternoons, so that I could study during either.

Im sure it varies, but my guess is you would probably have 2 or 3 days a week off, and i doubt you would be doing whatever you do more than 10 hours a day

I studied for 2 months.

Didn't do a research job so that I could afford to have a bit of spare time each day for dozing off and otherwise letting my brain relax.

I will be sophomore this year ...And I was wondering that waht's the best time to start MCAT discussion and Study. I haven't even looked at the book yet. Please some advise would be great!! Thanks in Advance!
best time: 2 years ago,
better time: today
good time: 5 months before depending how strong your science background is.
good luck

IMO you start studying with your Intro Bio/Chem courses. Do very well in them, and learn 'for keeps'.

Wouldn't do it. In 2005 when I took the paper test, I had a full-time research job. Didn't study a whole lot because of the workload, took only a handful of practice tests, received a 31. Studying full-time 3 weeks this summer was already more than all the studying I did that summer. So in sum, if you're going to study to take the test, make it worthwhile and the only thing in the world that matters to you that summer. You want to not have to take it again.

Note: I am taking it again because my score expires next year and I don't know if I'm applying next year or the year after. This year will be the only time I will be able to take the MCAT, either September or next January.