Best undergrad classes to take

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IApredent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know a lot of people ask which major is 'best' but I was wondering which undergrad classes will prepare you the best for the first year or two of dental school as (from my understanding) it is hard-science lecture intensive.

outside of the required Chemistry/Physics/Biology what are actually going to HELP in dental school (i.e. I don't see physics being a crucial element to dental school, but then again i'm not in dental school so I guess I don't know for sure.)

I assume 1) Biochemistry 2) Microbiology 3)Anatomy 4) Physiology would all be helpful, are there any classes that are especially hard in dental school that it would be really beneficial to have a good understanding of the basics at an undergrad level?

Members don't see this ad.

I am registering for classes soon, is medical microbiology an important class to take prior to dental school?

I've heard anatomy and immunology really helps. I'd like some comments from d1's though

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Anatomy
2. Microbiology
3. Physiology
4. Biochemistry
5. Pharmacology

The more detailed the class the better...

I wonder how much it does help? All these classes are in dental school right?

In fact I think the move toward a "scientist" based clinician is a new concept.

note - I did not say science based... but rather "scientist" - the training first to be a scientist, then for these scientists to later become clinicians. This was not always the case -I wonder if we'll move away from this ever. The premise being jr scientists dont make the best clinicians.

Last edited:
1. Anatomy
2. Microbiology
3. Physiology
4. Biochemistry
5. Pharmacology

The more detailed the class the better...

I absolutely agree with the above list. I would also like to throw in the following classes if you have time at the end of your undergrad:

Histology (absolute must if your school offers it!)
Endocrinology
Pathophysiology
Sculpture/Ceramics (since many schools start putting you in the sim lab with handpieces and typodonts (fake teeth) the first week of school)

Interpersonal Communications!

also:
Psychology
Sociology
Foreign Languages
Business

Take a break from the sciences! You're going to learn everything you need to be a competent dentist in school but the better you are at communicating with your patient's and staff the more successful you will be. Think big picture.

there is no best but better
smile.gif

I cannot agree more with business. I knew NOTHING of business before taking econ, acct, advt, and management. In a way it has been very rewarding because now I understand alot of what is discussed in politics and have even shaped my own informed views about fiscal policy. It has made me a more well rounded person.

also:
Psychology
Sociology
Foreign Languages
Business

...Think big picture.

So the school i attend is offering immuno the same time as physio. Which one would be more important to take?

also:
Psychology
Sociology
Foreign Languages
Business

Take a break from the sciences! You're going to learn everything you need to be a competent dentist in school but the better you are at communicating with your patient's and staff the more successful you will be. Think big picture.

:thumbup: but i am a Communication major so i am biased. But seriously, if you ever need a random upper division social science class i found these classes very applicable to life:

Persuasion
Conflict and Negotiation
Non-verbal Communication

And interpersonal is really good too!

Add neuroanatomy to list, if you can find one.

Last edited:
I have the choice between two courses that I would like to take: endocrinology and neuroscience.

Unfortunately I am only able to take one. Which would be more beneficial before entering med school.

Id take endocrinology, i feel like endo youd cover alot of body system whereas with neuro youd focus mainly on the brain systems? i dont know but i wish my school offered endo.
Also, does anyone have any input on if i should take the pharmacology course at my school, however its listed under cardiovascular department. so the prefix is cv-. I went to this course today and is mainly about drugs pertaining to the heart and everyone else in the course (but me) is a cardiovascular major........im thinking i should drop it although i called aadsas and they told me it'd count as a science, i just dont know if its worth takin pharm if it doesnt cover all the basics? and just the heart

best classes to take are the easiest ones to up ur SCI GPA..u will forget everything by the time u go to d school

Gross anatomy, if your undergrad has it. Incredibly helpful, and something you will definitely be taking in dental school.