Best Undergraduate Physics Textbook?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed414

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

My professors for both Physics I/II don't require textbooks at all. They give a few suggestions, but that's it.

What, in your opinion, is the best calculus based Physics textbook? Their recommendations include:

“Physics for Scientists and Engineers” by Knight
“University Physics” by Young and Freedman
“Fundamental of Physics” by Halliday, Resnick and Walker
“Physics for Scientists and Engineers” by Giancoli

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I took non-calc based physics and I used "Fundamental of Physics" by Halliday, Resnick and Walker. I thought it was a well written, easy to understand book.

I've seen some of the books you listed on torrents...jus' sayin.

I've used both the Halliday and the Giancoli.. The Halliday was much better at explaining, had good practice problems and had interesting stories/pictures (I only remember b/c our bonus questions were based off the pictures/stories.) Giancoli was alright.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recommend Halliday. Great applications and practice problems. Solutions manuals are also abundant online. It was used in my hs AP C course as well as my intro college course. You can get a modern edition (7th+) for less than $20 and it's identical to the newest one (9th I think) except for problem numbers.

I used University Physics. Very average book in my opinion (all my professors said it was the best), but in the chapter on torque, they use a character named Throckmorton, which is a very good reason to purchase a textbook.

Relevant information in blue. Silliness in red.

I took calculus-based physics and used Essential University Physics by Richard Wolfson. It's the text used by the University of Colorado physics department (where I did my post-bacc). I strongly, strongly recommend this text! It is clear and concise, won't kill your back/shoulders, and comes with plenty of excellent practice problems. To be honest I don't think I've ever had a college text this good in ANY subject.

For conceptual understanding, the Feynman Lectures on Physics are hard to beat.

The Feynman Lectures on Physics is an excellent text, but it honestly doesn't teach the physics all that well for someone that hasn't had physics yet. I completed my physics degree several years ago and going back to the Feynman Lectures, I get a lot out of them, but I'm not sure a first-year student would have the same experience. Serway seems to be the one that most schools use, but I've always hated that book - it comes across too formulaic.

The book I used was University Physics by Harris Benson, which even though it is not commonly used, it remains an excellent text. Also, I would recommend getting an MCAT review book now and using it during your class. There is a LOT of information covered in introductory physics which isn't covered on the exam, angular momentum being the most obvious omission.

Best of luck to you in your first foray into physics - it completely changed my life and shaped me more than just about anything I can think of.

don't panic physics
-Basachis(sp)

/troll

Hey all,

My professors for both Physics I/II don't require textbooks at all. They give a few suggestions, but that's it.

What, in your opinion, is the best calculus based Physics textbook? Their recommendations include:

“Physics for Scientists and Engineers” by Knight
“University Physics” by Young and Freedman
“Fundamental of Physics” by Halliday, Resnick and Walker
“Physics for Scientists and Engineers” by Giancoli

Thanks in advance!

I'm only going to say this once, so pay attention:TIPLER

Thanks for all the responses guys!

Is the Halliday book Calculus based? Because my course is..

I used Giancoli for the first physics and thought it was terrible.

Used College Physics (Knight, Field, Jones) for the second physics and it was a fun read actually.

Halliday and Resnick wasn't bad, but if no textbook is required, get whatever you can get cheapest off of Amazon. Introductory Mechanics hasn't changed very much even in the last 50 years.

And yes, Halliday and Resnick is calculus-based.