Best way of taking notes in med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barb

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although many schools offer note-taking services, how many of you also take it upon yourself to take notes and how do you go about doing it?

Members don't see this ad.

Although I only attend 5% of the lectures :D (It's hard to get up for those 8am lectures!!! :rolleyes: ), during the rare occasions that I actually showed up for class, I usually will write notes on either the class handout or the notes from the note-taking service of last year which I inherited from my big sib (our school has a big sib/little sib program), since most of the time lectures are identical to last year.

my personal notetaking decreased as I went through the first two years. We have a notetaking service, and we quickly learned who did good notes and who did poor notes. So, when I knew who was doing the notes, that might influence my decision on how much personal notetaking to do. I took all my own notes for gross anatomy, as they were often based on diagrams the instructor drew or passed out. '

I also was one of the people that other students would pay to do notes for them, so I did take lots of notes that went into the notes system. During the second year, mostly I followed along with the handouts and the prior year's notes (big sib system like the previous poster) and jotted down a few things.

Very few people can keep up with the pace of notes for a long time in med school. I think most schools have some sort of notes system, along with handouts, that keep your frantic scribbling to a minimum. But definitely try to jot down a few things, at least, as it keeps you more actively involved in the lecture. Or, better yet, practice selective skipping. IN retrospect, I wish I had gone to class less and spent that time memorizing the triva (I'm not a good memorizer)that appeared on our exams.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm spoiled. :) My school requires the profs to provide lecture handouts. All we do is annotate.

For those of you that voted "other," how did you handle note-taking?