1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Best way of taking notes in med school

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by barb, Jun 10, 2002.

1. barb

barb Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Although many schools offer note-taking services, how many of you also take it upon yourself to take notes and how do you go about doing it?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Arukas

Arukas Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Although I only attend 5% of the lectures :D (It's hard to get up for those 8am lectures!!! :rolleyes: ), during the rare occasions that I actually showed up for class, I usually will write notes on either the class handout or the notes from the note-taking service of last year which I inherited from my big sib (our school has a big sib/little sib program), since most of the time lectures are identical to last year.

4. md03

md03 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

my personal notetaking decreased as I went through the first two years. We have a notetaking service, and we quickly learned who did good notes and who did poor notes. So, when I knew who was doing the notes, that might influence my decision on how much personal notetaking to do. I took all my own notes for gross anatomy, as they were often based on diagrams the instructor drew or passed out. '

I also was one of the people that other students would pay to do notes for them, so I did take lots of notes that went into the notes system. During the second year, mostly I followed along with the handouts and the prior year's notes (big sib system like the previous poster) and jotted down a few things.

Very few people can keep up with the pace of notes for a long time in med school. I think most schools have some sort of notes system, along with handouts, that keep your frantic scribbling to a minimum. But definitely try to jot down a few things, at least, as it keeps you more actively involved in the lecture. Or, better yet, practice selective skipping. IN retrospect, I wish I had gone to class less and spent that time memorizing the triva (I'm not a good memorizer)that appeared on our exams.

5. Dodge This

Dodge This Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm spoiled. :) My school requires the profs to provide lecture handouts. All we do is annotate.

6. barb

barb Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

For those of you that voted "other," how did you handle note-taking?