Best way to administer to yourself a practice MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonez318ti

Future Rally Medic
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm torn between taking a Kaplan course or not.

The only benefit i see for Kaplan or TPR is for their practice tests, as I think it would be a valuable experience to sit in on a proctored practice MCAT.

So if I were not to take the course.. what would you say is the best method to give myself a realistic mcat administration? I'm not sure how much I could concentrate sitting at my desk at home where I usually study.. (I can study just fine.. I'm just not sure how I would do in keeping focused for 8 hours straight.. it would be alot easier if everyone else around me was doing the same thing)

Anyone care to share some tips or insights??

thnx

Members don't see this ad.

I took Kaplan and also proctored one of the exams to myself at one of their center ...... I found no difference

All I have to say is that if you can be honest about stopping when the beeper goes off .... then by all means study on your own (given that you have all the other resources to study)

mm.. stopping when the alarm goes off is not a problem..

i think just getting myself into the 'test mode' would be alot easier if i was in a sterile classroom with a bunch of other kids sitting there quietly rather than in the comfort of my own home..

so i guess im wondering if other people have this problem and have come up with creative solutions..

btw.. i've taken all of the pre reqs within the last year, and I have already baught the exam krackers study set (Which ill be using as my core study material), kaplan comprehensive review (more of a backup), an old set of princeton review class room text books (also backup), the EK verbal 101, and id probably get a set of those EK 1001 questions (if i dont take the course) as well..

so the take away is.. I know most of the fundamentals, they are still relatively fresh in my mind.. i just need to MASTER the material since im a slow test taker (i get too use to my regular class exams where i usually have enough time to finish the test and then go over each question)..

the main problem for me is getting the 'test' experience so that get a real gauge of my performance (via practice mcats) as i progess closer to the mcat.. and also so i would already have experienced and practiced the endurance necessary to focus for 8 hrs

additional thoughts?

b-
I just took the April MCAT.
Good thing you've identified a potential problem in focusing on your own for 8 hrs...that will KILL you on the MCAT if you can't do it. Maybe my input will give you things to consider:
First, what I did: I used the school's "quiet study area". No talking really, but lots of coughing, paper crackling, and the periodic cell phone. And lots of people studying. Try to find this area in your school or public library. You'll be exposed to all these distractions during the MCAT. I also wrote down the time started and time to stop, and used my analog wrist watch for timing. And I took the exact break times alloted...10 min between sections, and a 1 hr break for lunch after verbal.
Second, what I would have done had I known(ie, what I'll be doing to prep for August): Use an digital time to get me used to seeing the time drip away, and the pressure that puts on me. I'll also try to take some sections in a minute or two less than alloted, just to give me that urgency to rush when needed. And I'll try some tests in our schools MCAT rooms, so I can do them on the small surface. And I'll try to practice JUST PLAIN SKIPPING the ridiculous sections, and going back to them. If you haven't learned that yet, you may wanna try...it can help.
Good luck!

dc

Members don't see this ad :)
bonez318ti said:
So if I were not to take the course.. what would you say is the best method to give myself a realistic mcat administration? I'm not sure how much I could concentrate sitting at my desk at home where I usually study.. (I can study just fine.. I'm just not sure how I would do in keeping focused for 8 hours straight.. it would be alot easier if everyone else around me was doing the same thing)

Anyone care to share some tips or insights??

thnx
Find a bunch of other MCAT'ers and an empty classroom. Commandere it for a Saturday and pay a friend $15 to proctor for the day.

acwynn said:
Find a bunch of other MCAT'ers and an empty classroom. Commandere it for a Saturday and pay a friend $15 to proctor for the day.

Wow what kind of friend pays $15 / 7 .... $2.20 an hour?

:laugh: j/k... it's a great idea. Perhaps chip in pay the "proctor" a lil more. :thumbup: It's the best practice possible in my opinion. And if possible, take the practice tests at your testing center. That will be double awesome prep!