best way to do uworld

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turtlez

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone do uworld questions by system/discipline like cardio/micro ?

Members don't see this ad.

That would be fine and dandy if the usmle tested you in the same manner.

They test you in a random timed sequence, and you have 7 blocks. Frankly, I am of the opinion that most of the med student population has lacked a very important factor in their prep: Endurance.
How many marathon runners practice 100m dashes exclusively?

One of my strengths was approaching this exam like a physical pursuit, which included training under tougher conditions than the actual exam. So I did 8 blocks in one day with 45 minutes of total break time (random, timed) and checked them over the next 3 days. That 8th block always sucked, but it payed off in the end.

That is the best way to do uworld. Unless you wanna toughen it up further, adding noise, sleep deprivation, cutting time further. etc (as they say in halo, enabling skulls).

Reactions: 2 users
That is the best way to do uworld. Unless you wanna toughen it up further, adding noise, sleep deprivation, cutting time further. etc (as they say in halo, enabling skulls).

Personally, I do 12 blocks random/timed of Uworld per day, with a time limit of 8 hours.
Drink 3 cups of coffee, and 3 liters of water but take no bathroom breaks.
Take each block while standing, in a room with poor lighting that I keep at 110 degrees.
With a clothespin on one nipple (of my choice), and a 9 volt battery wired to my junk.

But I’m only simulating the worst possible testing conditions.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I do 12 blocks random/timed of Uworld per day, with a time limit of 8 hours.
Take each block while standing, in a room with poor lighting that I keep at 110 degrees.
With a clothespin on one nipple (of my choice), and a 9 volt battery wired to my junk.

That sounds like a decent plan assuming you are still finishing up classes. Once you're in your dedicated study period you'll want to ramp it up a bit.

Reactions: 2 users

You forgot the hallucinogens, the pre-test ex-lax, looped mp3 samples from hostel playing at full volume, and playing russian roulette inbetween blocks.

You MUST do all of this for a 280. There is no other way.

edit: after you exam is over if you still have some days of your uworld subscription left, consider playing the uworld drinking game with a buddy.

Last edited:
You forgot the hallucinogens, the pre-test ex-lax, looped mp3 samples from hostel playing at full volume, and playing russian roulette inbetween blocks.

You MUST do all of this for a 280. There is no other way.

edit: after you exam is over if you still have some days of your uworld subscription left, consider playing the uworld drinking game with a buddy.
the pathoma drinking game is better; any time satar says "high yield/examiners like to go after this" take a drink

Reactions: 3 users
That would be fine and dandy if the usmle tested you in the same manner.

They test you in a random timed sequence, and you have 7 blocks. Frankly, I am of the opinion that most of the med student population has lacked a very important factor in their prep: Endurance.
How many marathon runners practice 100m dashes exclusively?

One of my strengths was approaching this exam like a physical pursuit, which included training under tougher conditions than the actual exam. So I did 8 blocks in one day with 45 minutes of total break time (random, timed) and checked them over the next 3 days. That 8th block always sucked, but it payed off in the end.

I definitely agree with the utility of that method. How do you feel about reviewing test questions from 2-3 days ago though? For example, by the time 2-3 days have passed you might not remember what you were thinking or how you came to the answer that you picked. Did you notice a difference between your review the following day and your review 3 days later?

I definitely agree with the utility of that method. How do you feel about reviewing test questions from 2-3 days ago though? For example, by the time 2-3 days have passed you might not remember what you were thinking or how you came to the answer that you picked. Did you notice a difference between your review the following day and your review 3 days later?

No not really, I still remember what I was thinking when I picked it and why.

I think any way you want to do it your first time through is fine, but my plan is to do at least 4 blocks of 46, random, timed during my 2nd pass.