Best Way to Get a Doctor to Let You Shadow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aaat

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm looking to get some shadowing experience during the school year, however, there aren't that many optometrists that practice in my area and unfortunately I have no personal connection to any of the local optometrists. Any advice on the best way to approach these doctors about shadowing? Should I just show up at their practice or would that be too much?

Members don't see this ad.

I had the same problem. I literally just called every single practice near me. The receptions answered and told me they'd talk to the doctkr. A few got back to me! Don't be afraid of rejection. The worst that can happen is that they say no or don't get back to you. Best of luck!
Hi! I'm looking to get some shadowing experience during the school year, however, there aren't that many optometrists that practice in my area and unfortunately I have no personal connection to any of the local optometrists. Any advice on the best way to approach these doctors about shadowing? Should I just show up at their practice or would that be too much?

Reactions: 1 user
I just sent him my resume which has a lot of other research projects. Just get out there and ask a lot (although I only had to ask one)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I had the same problem. I literally just called every single practice near me. The receptions answered and told me they'd talk to the doctkr. A few got back to me! Don't be afraid of rejection. The worst that can happen is that they say no or don't get back to you. Best of luck!
Thank you!!

Optometrist here. Just ask us. We might be busy, and we might not want a student following us around ALL day, but we really don't mind going for a coffee and discussing how things work, and letting you shadow for a patient or two.

Honestly, its much more valuable to just sit and talk with us, instead of shadowing. I remember when I was Pre-opt and needed to shadow somebody. I had no idea what was going on, and was totally overwhelmed. I would've much prefered a frank discussion about the profession with the doctor (school, salary, job opportunities, future challenges). Oh, and we don't mind signing any forms saying you shadowed, that's besides the point.

best way is to call the local office and tell them you are interested in attending optometry school and would like to spend time with them learning more about the field and their day to day. Most wont mind at all.