Best way to get into research groups?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYyanx28

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting MS1 in August and have obviously heard that research plays an important part in matching for residency. Granted I have a long time before I need to worry about that, but it is nice to know what I have ahead of me. My school has a research requirement, so I guess my "competition" to get into any particular research group may be high.

What is the standard procedure for getting into contact with potential PI's? Waiting until school starts and asking professors during blocks? E-mailing research groups of interest before I even move to school? Any ideas?

Also, I'm sure it looks great to have research in the field you will apply for residency, but what if you decide after two years of research that you don't want to enter that specific field? Is it looked badly upon to have, say research in anesthesiology, but applying for general surgery residencies?

Members don't see this ad.

Email the PI and express interest in helping out with some research. If you've got the free time to put 2 years in, plus study for exams and keep up with your work...more power to you my friend. Research, no matter what kind, looks good. If it's in the field you're matching into...that's even better.