Best way to negotiate for higher pay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm a little late to the party, but I have quite a bit of input on this.
First off, there are hospital systems out there that do count prior pharmacy experience as experience (including tech and intern work). Heck I know for a fact that my hospital system counts ANY hospital experience as experience when calculating your salary range. So if you worked as a CNA for 8 years before pharmacy school in a hospital system, then that would increase your salary range.
So since I had prior tech and intern experience I was able to argue for a higher starting salary. I'd be willing to bet that I'm at least one of the top paid graduates from my class because of it. (Which means I'm paid a better hourly rate than starting in retail) I would definitely recommend to OP to politely ask for a higher wage then they offer. I did and I was able to max out the pay range that they were willing to negotiate with me on (but I still have plenty of room for raises). Then for future jobs, that gives you a good starting point for salary negotiations. I've already used this bit of advise when starting a PRN position and got a higher rate because of it.
Also congrats OP! You truly got the unicorn job that everyone dreams of! Take advantage and learn as much as you can. Also if you're out in BFE be ready for more of 70% logistics and 30% clinical. Still get to be super involved in patient care though which is very rewarding in my mind.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
First off, there are hospital systems out there that do count prior pharmacy experience as experience (including tech and intern work). Heck I know for a fact that my hospital system counts ANY hospital experience as experience when calculating your salary range. So if you worked as a CNA for 8 years before pharmacy school in a hospital system, then that would increase your salary range.
So since I had prior tech and intern experience I was able to argue for a higher starting salary. I'd be willing to bet that I'm at least one of the top paid graduates from my class because of it. (Which means I'm paid a better hourly rate than starting in retail) I would definitely recommend to OP to politely ask for a higher wage then they offer. I did and I was able to max out the pay range that they were willing to negotiate with me on (but I still have plenty of room for raises). Then for future jobs, that gives you a good starting point for salary negotiations. I've already used this bit of advise when starting a PRN position and got a higher rate because of it.
Also congrats OP! You truly got the unicorn job that everyone dreams of! Take advantage and learn as much as you can. Also if you're out in BFE be ready for more of 70% logistics and 30% clinical. Still get to be super involved in patient care though which is very rewarding in my mind.

Thank you for your wonderful reply!!! I was definitely surprised to read experience directly related to the job isn't taken into consideration. I can say all the years I worked as a tech and intern has helped me become a better pharmacist today.

I am beyond excited and extremely grateful for this dream come true opportunity. Thanks again :)

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your wonderful reply!!! I was definitely surprised to read experience directly related to the job isn't taken into consideration. I can say all the years I worked as a tech and intern has helped me become a better pharmacist today.

I am beyond excited and extremely grateful for this dream come true opportunity. Thanks again :)

Yeah, I'm not quite sure why everyone was ripping into you about this. Do keep in mind though that every company is slightly different in how they operate, so even if you ask for a higher salary they could potentially say no but again it never hurts to ask. Like for the company I'm full time at, I know that they have a flat rate for PRN pharmacists and there's no negotiation for it (but it is a very nice rate). However for full time you can negotiate for a higher hourly rate (like I did).

And I completely agree! Having prior tech/intern work, particularly inpatient, would be a great thing when hiring someone. You wouldn't have to completely train them on the idea of an EHR or making IVs or stocking meds or outdates while also trying to make sure that they're competent clinically. Even if they didn't use the system you're hiring them for, they'll at least understand the overall concepts for each one and most likely pick it all up faster. I actually recently interviewed for another position and legitimately one of my questions was how I manage techs and their work flow. I was easily able to talk about that since I worked as a tech and knew how I liked to be treated by pharmacists. So I know regardless of whether it plays into HR's pay algorithm, it does change a hiring managers perception of you for the better.
Again congrats!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Your system seems to be lenient. I know of some systems that don't even count residency within the same hospital as experience towards your salary.

Your system seems to be lenient. I know of some systems that don't even count residency within the same hospital as experience towards your salary.

Yeah after reading everyone's experiences on this forum, I've come to realize that I actually work for a pretty good health system. Everyone b!+@#s and moans about large corporations but there's quite a few benefits to them.

Yeah, I'm not quite sure why everyone was ripping into you about this. Do keep in mind though that every company is slightly different in how they operate, so even if you ask for a higher salary they could potentially say no but again it never hurts to ask. Like for the company I'm full time at, I know that they have a flat rate for PRN pharmacists and there's no negotiation for it (but it is a very nice rate). However for full time you can negotiate for a higher hourly rate (like I did).

And I completely agree! Having prior tech/intern work, particularly inpatient, would be a great thing when hiring someone. You wouldn't have to completely train them on the idea of an EHR or making IVs or stocking meds or outdates while also trying to make sure that they're competent clinically. Even if they didn't use the system you're hiring them for, they'll at least understand the overall concepts for each one and most likely pick it all up faster. I actually recently interviewed for another position and legitimately one of my questions was how I manage techs and their work flow. I was easily able to talk about that since I worked as a tech and knew how I liked to be treated by pharmacists. So I know regardless of whether it plays into HR's pay algorithm, it does change a hiring managers perception of you for the better.
Again congrats!

Luckily, I was able to avoid the negotiation conversation entirely. After accepting my tentative offer, my hiring manager called and started the conversation with "we are trying to get you more money."
I must have done something right in a past life?! They are already in my corner and I'm not even officially part of the team yet! Everyday, I wake up thinking it must have been all a dream. Still pinching myself regularly to make sure it's real.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I'm not sure why you're crapping on residency when it sounds like you're doing the tech equivalent of a residency from the other thread:
Tech is guaranteed job and salary and same thing with medical residency guaranteed job at the end of the tunnel and make 2x than a pharmacist after three years of residency and make close to half a million if you add fellowships.

the pharmacy residency does not guarantee a job nor increase salary. Or it May guarantee a Prn job.

Last edited by a moderator: