best way to prepare for CREOG?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JShupe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was wondering how many of you that do well on the yearly CREOG exam prepare? What books do you use? Thanks in advance=-)

Members don't see this ad.

Just want an update on how to prepare for creog. Want to do GYN ONC and want to kill the creogs! Im an intern now. Trying to decide precis vs the prolog books. The prolog books seem long and I already have williams, comprehensive gynecology etc...??

Members don't see this ad :)
Just want an update on how to prepare for creog. Want to do GYN ONC and want to kill the creogs! Im an intern now. Trying to decide precis vs the prolog books. The prolog books seem long and I already have williams, comprehensive gynecology etc...??

Precis is essentially a review series. It's okay.

Prolog is a set of practice questions. If you are a member of ACOG, which your program should have paid for, you should have gotten some emails with the pdfs for critical care, obstetrics, and office management.

The Hopkin's manual for OB GYN is a nice book to read as well.

I did reasonably well on the CREOGs. My main advice would be the following:

The test is heavy on general OB, GYN, and primary care. REI and Onc are lower yield if you are in a time crunch. Know your general OB and GYN cold. That's easy points and as an upper level you should be able to get >75% of these questions correct.

Review general primary care stuff (when certain screening tests/labs are ordered and at what age, immunization stuff)

Review practice bulletins, at least for the last year.

Genomics is getting a few questions. Knowing some of the inheritance patterns to major disorders will get you some easy points.

I'm assuming you're an intern. If so, try to do well on your CREOGs each year, but generally your third year scores are the ones that will count the most for fellowship. But just try to read something on a consistent basis since basically anything is high yield for an intern.

Precis is essentially a review series. It's okay.

Prolog is a set of practice questions. If you are a member of ACOG, which your program should have paid for, you should have gotten some emails with the pdfs for critical care, obstetrics, and office management.

The Hopkin's manual for OB GYN is a nice book to read as well.

I did reasonably well on the CREOGs. My main advice would be the following:

The test is heavy on general OB, GYN, and primary care. REI and Onc are lower yield if you are in a time crunch. Know your general OB and GYN cold. That's easy points and as an upper level you should be able to get >75% of these questions correct.

Review general primary care stuff (when certain screening tests/labs are ordered and at what age, immunization stuff)

Review practice bulletins, at least for the last year.

Genomics is getting a few questions. Knowing some of the inheritance patterns to major disorders will get you some easy points.

I'm assuming you're an intern. If so, try to do well on your CREOGs each year, but generally your third year scores are the ones that will count the most for fellowship. But just try to read something on a consistent basis since basically anything is high yield for an intern.
So I shouldn't buy these http://sales.acog.org/PROLOG-Complete-Set-of-all-5-Books-P428C52.aspx??
So what do you think is the most high yield thing would be over the next 3 months? Have you looked into the prolog e-modules on the ACOG site?
Is the hopkins book a good basic review?

So I shouldn't buy these http://sales.acog.org/PROLOG-Complete-Set-of-all-5-Books-P428C52.aspx??
So what do you think is the most high yield thing would be over the next 3 months? Have you looked into the prolog e-modules on the ACOG site?
Is the hopkins book a good basic review?

ACOG has sent PDFs of 3 of those prolog books to residents over the past 2 years or so. Your upper levels should have them. Just ask. That way you only have to buy 2 of the prologs and can save some cash.

Have not used any of thee modules.

The hopkins book is a nice review/intro to a lot of OB GYN. It's small,easy to read, and has a fair amount of detail.

As far as studying: Read up on your general OB, GYN, and primary/preventative care stuff. Try reading at least 1-2 practice bulletins a week starting with this years. That's probably your most high yield stuff at this point. You can review the Onc and REI stuff as well when you have time.