Best Way to Repair Poor GPA Post-Graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentG_XO

Reaction score
Hello everyone! This is my first thread so please forgive me if someone has posted a similar thread on this page.

I’m a senior about to graduate and wanting to take a gap year before dental school (planning to apply this upcoming cycle and/or the following cycle). Unfortunately, I struggled with some mental health issues during my time at my university due to the competitive nature of my university I was in and ended up with a 3.22 gpa (I was on track to have around 2.9 so I did improve immensely the last year). My science gpa is lower at a 2.95.

The issue with my GPA is almost entirely my chemistry courses. My biology courses average around a 3.5 but my chemistry grades are much lower. Received C+ in Inorganic Chem I and II and a C in Organic 1 and a D+ in Organic II (also B- in biochem but I'm honestly pretty happy with that). The unfortunately aggravating part is I reached out to student tutors, went to office hours, and studied several hours a day on my own for these organic classes. I kind of wish the problem was that I was just being lazy but, in reality, I put as much work as I could in the courses so that was pretty demotivating.

I felt the best thing to do during my gap year (or years) would be to raise those chemistry grades and my overall GPA. Would the best route be to complete a Special Masters program (I’ve applied to a masters at U of South Florida so far)? If so, are there any programs still accepting applications this late in the year?

The other option and one I would prefer is simply retaking those chemistry courses (most importantly Organic since those were low) at my local state school as a non-degree seeking student. This would be cheaper and would give me some time to focus on shadowing hours, volunteering, etc. The issue is I wasn’t sure, since I would be taking this after receiving my Bachelor’s, if this would count towards my GPA. Does anyone know if this is a valid option? I haven't heard of many students doing this.

Other stats and facts: I didn’t perform as well as I wanted on the DAT with an 18 but I plan on retaking the DAT in July after some heavy preparations I’ve done with my Kaplan book and practice problems my old Organic professor gave to me. The 18 was my first attempt which I prematurely did in December.
Volunteer Hours: 60+
Shadowing Hours: 120+ (and planning to continue during gap year)
Writing tutor and writing minor (with a 3.92 gpa in that haha perhaps writing would've been a better path for me)
Social media intern at university's Office of Environmental Science
President of the university's library student leaders

TL;DR: About to graduate with around a 3.22 gpa with mainly chemistry bringing that down. Should I just do a Special Masters Program or would it even be possible to just retake those chemistry courses as a non-degree seeking student and have it count towards my GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Think you'll need to retake Organic II no matter what since it is a prerequisite course for many schools. Your sGPA is pretty low so just retaking the chem courses wouldn't raise it that much, plus retaking courses you got C's in is not really recommended. My advise would be to do a 1 year biomedical science masters program (or other SMPs), and kill it with a 3.8+ GPA. A DAT score of ~22 would also go a long way in helping you fix up your application and get the attention of the adcoms. Might be just me, but I'd also leave the DAT til after you finish the master's program, since a lot of the biology you learn will no doubt be useful.

Reactions: 1 user
Think you'll need to retake Organic II no matter what since it is a prerequisite course for many schools. Your sGPA is pretty low so just retaking the chem courses wouldn't raise it that much, plus retaking courses you got C's in is not really recommended. My advise would be to do a 1 year biomedical science masters program (or other SMPs), and kill it with a 3.8+ GPA. A DAT score of ~22 would also go a long way in helping you fix up your application and get the attention of the adcoms. Might be just me, but I'd also leave the DAT til after you finish the master's program, since a lot of the biology you learn will no doubt be useful.
Thanks so much for your advice! Are there any SMP's you recommend or you yourself were enrolled in? I'm a little worried most masters programs won't even accept me with a sGPA that low (still waiting on USF's response as I just applied a few days ago)

Members don't see this ad :)
Whether you officially retake the courses or not, you will need to master the concepts that were covered in your science pre-requisite courses. I would also recommend reflecting on the situation and how you can improve in the future. I would also recommend pre-studying the material so that you will do better if you retake the courses.

I was a in similar situation as you. I had received C's in inorganic chems 1 and 2. I had to retake orgo 1 twice (the first time I got a D and the second time I got a D+). I ended my undergrad with a 2.92 gpa and 2.2 sgpa. In my case, I was missing 40+ credit hours worth of prereqs and recommenced classes so I did a postbacc as a non degree seeking student instead. I retook orgo 1 a three time and got A and my postbacc gpa was a 3.6. After my postbacc, my cgpa was 3.0 and my sgpa was 3.0 as well. I studied really hard to for for the DAT and got 21 as AA. I ended up getting a few interviews and I got into dental school as a first time applicant this cycle. I made sure to write in detail about my academic struggle on the application section itself and wrote a strong personal statement.

Reactions: 2 users
I was a in similar situation as you. I had received C's in inorganic chems 1 and 2. I had to retake orgo 1 twice (the first time I got a D and the second time I got a D+). I ended my undergrad with a 2.92 gpa and 2.2 sgpa. In my case, I was missing 40+ credit hours worth of prereqs and recommenced classes so I did a postbacc as a non degree seeking student instead. I retook orgo 1 a three time and got A and my postbacc gpa was a 3.6. After my postbacc, my cgpa was 3.0 and my sgpa was 3.0 as well. I studied really hard to for for the DAT and got 21 as AA. I ended up getting a few interviews and I got into dental school as a first time applicant this cycle. I made sure to write in detail about my academic struggle on the application section itself and wrote a strong personal statement.
This is really inspiring, thank you so much for sharing! May I ask how long your postbacc took? And what did you use to study for your DAT, that's an amazing score!

As others have said, you are probably better off doing an SMP to help show schools you can handle a rigorous science curriculum/courseload. This thread should hopefully give you a start in the programs you can apply for: RE: Ultimate Post-Bacc/Masters Dental Thread. As for retaking courses, you'll definitely have to retake OC II because all school require a C or higher for pre-reqs. For the others, it's not worth it to retake them as both grades will be counted toward your GPA (AADSAS doesn't do grade replacement), so your GPAs would not go up by very much.

For the DAT, refer to the stickied threads in the DAT forum, especially the breakdown compilation: DAT Discussions But, I would hold off on retaking until you have a stronger science foundation to be able to do well (21-22+). Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
As others have said, you are probably better off doing an SMP to help show schools you can handle a rigorous science curriculum/courseload. This thread should hopefully give you a start in the programs you can apply for: RE: Ultimate Post-Bacc/Masters Dental Thread. As for retaking courses, you'll definitely have to retake OC II because all school require a C or higher for pre-reqs. For the others, it's not worth it to retake them as both grades will be counted toward your GPA (AADSAS doesn't do grade replacement), so your GPAs would not go up by very much.

For the DAT, refer to the stickied threads in the DAT forum, especially the breakdown compilation: DAT Discussions But, I would hold off on retaking until you have a stronger science foundation to be able to do well (21-22+). Good luck!
Thanks so much! I've been looking for a list of SMP programs!

This is really inspiring, thank you so much for sharing! May I ask how long your postbacc took? And what did you use to study for your DAT, that's an amazing score!
No problem, I am glad to share my experience. it took me 5 semesters, the first four semesters I was taking 12-13 credits per semester. The last one I took 8 credit hours. During this time, I had a part time job and I volunteered.

For the Dat, I bought an old, used destroyer books, bootcamp and pat booster.

• Love
Thanks so much! I've been looking for a list of SMP programs!
I'm fairly certain they all have a specific thread discussing them, but here are a few predental-specific postbac SMP's:
Boston Univ
Creighton
Midwestern Glendale
Rutgers
UCSF
Univ of Pacific
Virginia Commonwealth
Texas A&M

Thanks so much for your advice! Are there any SMP's you recommend or you yourself were enrolled in? I'm a little worried most masters programs won't even accept me with a sGPA that low (still waiting on USF's response as I just applied a few days ago)

I also applied and am waiting to hear!

Have you heard anything back yet?