WAMC Poor EC's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DC1230

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying this upcoming cycle. I have scheduled a DAT date in early June so my application isn't delayed very long. My school GPA is much higher (3.7), but I failed a chemistry class my freshman year, so I calculated the GPA like the ADEA does and that is what I put below. I realize my volunteering and shadowing hours need to increase and I am going to work on that this summer. I plan to only apply to in state schools because of cost. I am open to any criticism/ideas.

Date of submission: Upcoming Cycle
Overall GPA: 3.56
Science GPA:3.62
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.54
DAT score (include AA and all sections): Taking it in June
State of Residence: KY

Undergrad Attended:
Western Kentucky University
Major: Biology and Chemistry
Minor: N/A
Minority?
No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience:
40 hrs w/General Dentist, 10 hrs w/Orthodontist
Volunteering Experience: 10 hrs coaching kids basketball camp
Employment: Worked at a marina during the summers (Well over 1000 hours)
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: Club basketball team, Also involved in CRU (campus ministry organization)
Relevant Honors or Awards:
LOR type and strength: Pre-health evaluation committee and orthodontist (both strong)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere: N/A
School list: University of KY and University of Louisville

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying this upcoming cycle. I have scheduled a DAT date in early June so my application isn't delayed very long. My school GPA is much higher (3.7), but I failed a chemistry class my freshman year, so I calculated the GPA like the ADEA does and that is what I put below. I realize my volunteering and shadowing hours need to increase and I am going to work on that this summer. I plan to only apply to in state schools because of cost. I am open to any criticism/ideas.

Date of submission: Upcoming Cycle
Overall GPA: 3.56
Science GPA:3.62
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.54
DAT score (include AA and all sections): Taking it in June
State of Residence: KY

Undergrad Attended:
Western Kentucky University
Major: Biology and Chemistry
Minor: N/A
Minority?
No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience:
40 hrs w/General Dentist, 10 hrs w/Orthodontist
Volunteering Experience: 10 hrs coaching kids basketball camp
Employment: Worked at a marina during the summers (Well over 1000 hours)
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: Club basketball team, Also involved in CRU (campus ministry organization)
Relevant Honors or Awards:
LOR type and strength: Pre-health evaluation committee and orthodontist (both strong)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere: N/A
School list: University of KY and University of Louisville
I think if you really ace your DAT, you would be at good odds. Most people apply to 8-10 schools, however, if you truly only see yourself at 2 schools, I understand not wanting to spend anymore time on other programs. Were your existing shadowing hours obtained over a period of time? I heard dental schools will look down on hours that are rushed, especially so close to apps opening. They prefer your shadowing/volunteering to be collected over time to build good relationships with letter writers and it shows long term commitment. Have you considered taking a year off?

Reactions: 1 user
I think if you really ace your DAT, you would be at good odds. Most people apply to 8-10 schools, however, if you truly only see yourself at 2 schools, I understand not wanting to spend anymore time on other programs. Were your existing shadowing hours obtained over a period of time? I heard dental schools will look down on hours that are rushed, especially so close to apps opening. They prefer your shadowing/volunteering to be collected over time to build good relationships with letter writers and it shows long term commitment. Have you considered taking a year off?
My shadow hours with the orthodontist were from 2 summers ago and the general dentist hours were from this winter. I have considered how a gap year could help my application, but I feel like I should apply this cycle regardless. How do you think COVID will factor into the amount of shadow/volunteer hours? Not using that as an excuse, but it is genuinely harder to find opportunities.

My shadow hours with the orthodontist were from 2 summers ago and the general dentist hours were from this winter. I have considered how a gap year could help my application, but I feel like I should apply this cycle regardless. How do you think COVID will factor into the amount of shadow/volunteer hours? Not using that as an excuse, but it is genuinely harder to find opportunities.
Also, applying this cycle. I know last cycle the app's included an area where you can explain how covid has impacted you. I was fortunate that I recently started gaining opportunities as offices have been more open about students coming in. I don't see why they would have this section this time around. I think it's fine to apply this cycle, might as well give it a shot because you never know. If you're still looking for shadowing I know schools are starting to accept virtual shadowing hours. Accounts such as freshdentalshadowing and smile shadowers on Instagram are good resources and have helped me gain my hours. Just check with your schools to see if they will accept these hours and if not you can possibly include them as enrichment activities.