Best way to study for the MCAT? Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschoolhopeful!

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am planning on taking the March 15th MCAT. I would like to begin studying on Nov. 5th. This will give me 19 weeks to prepare (just under 5 months). I think that I can achieve just about the often cited "500 prep hours."

My preliminary plan (hours-wise) is:

-about 30 hrs/week for 6 weeks
-Then about 40-50 hrs/week for 4 weeks (winter break)
-Then about 15-20 hrs/week for the final 8 weeks (I will be back at school)

I am trying to come up with a study plan over the next week so that I can jump right into it in November however, I am struggling to create a plan. I am also open to prep courses if anyone thinks that they may be applicable to my situation! (online only because I will be moving around a bit with school and breaks)

I am a pretty regimented student and could follow a plan pretty strictly once it is created but I am looking for advice on how to do this. I am a bit overwhelmed with the insane amount of information and prep material available! I have seen some example schedules that literally map out when they will be reading each chapter from each prep book.... I would love to be able to do this but I am not sure what books to use, when to do each type of studying, etc.

I am thinking that I should start with content review, with CARS passages everyday. I plan on taking a full length every 2-3 weeks and reviewing them right after (not sure which practice exams are most similar to the real exam) And taking 1 every week the month leading up to the exam (where i will utilize the AAMC exams).
Other than that, I am not sure...And I am not sure what books/videos/other materials and study methods I should be filling in this plan with! (& by "plan" i mean shell of a timeline...)

Thank you so much in advance! (and sorry for a really long question)

Members don't see this ad.

For content review Khan Academy videos for the sciences and P/S. Look up the MCAT videos. They go along with the AAMC study guide. The Berkeley Review is great for gen chem, ochem, and physics. Kaplan for B/B. For P/S get the 300 page document. These notes go along with the Khan Academy videos but have some more info.

Good practice passages are UWorld, ExamKrackers, and Altius.

And of course all AAMC materials.

Hey Boss, the key is 80% content review, 20% practice tests. So make sure you reserve at least three weeks to take a bunch of practice tests to polish your skills. In fact, Altius Test Prep had by far the most realistic tests for me. I loved their program and they helped me get in the 95th percentile. I have had multiple interviews at the best schools in the country because of the things I learned with Altius. Let me know if you have any questions.