Best way to study inorganic chem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdbaker17

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm working on the Gen Chemistry section, and I was wondering what was the best way to study for the inorganic questions on the PCAT. What are the most important formulas to know based on your PCAT experience?
It just seems so dense in calculations. Also, since it is so dense in calculations should I skip the calculating questions during the PCAT and return to them so I don't waste too much time on them?

I'm only using the Kaplan book to study this time around, what outside materials should I use? If I have to retake the exam, I'm going to purchase Collins.

Members don't see this ad.

I studied w/ Kaplan for the first 3 months and then Collins the last month before my PCAT. Best way to study in my opinion is to just know the general formulas that may appear often (molarity, etc) and the concepts behind them (pv=nrt : what happens when pressure increases, etc).

Members don't see this ad :)
Go through the summary pages at the end of each chapter in your textbook. If I feel uncomfortable with some of these, I will go to that particular section and look for the details. That is the best way of getting ready for the test IMO.

I'm working on the Gen Chemistry section, and I was wondering what was the best way to study for the inorganic questions on the PCAT. What are the most important formulas to know based on your PCAT experience?
It just seems so dense in calculations. Also, since it is so dense in calculations should I skip the calculating questions during the PCAT and return to them so I don't waste too much time on them?

I'm only using the Kaplan book to study this time around, what outside materials should I use? If I have to retake the exam, I'm going to purchase Collins.

I studied the Kaplan book and took the pcat in July. I didn't do so well in the Chemistry section. I did really well in the Biology. So I would suggest to use the Kaplan book to study for the biology section more. I'm saving up to purchase the Dr. Collins too because I think it would help me a lot in Chemistry from what I read on some of these forums. For the mean time until I buy it, I'm looking at anything I can find online for study guides. I'm also going back on the Kaplan book and try to review it again. I also purchased on Amazon "Master the PCAT" book...I haven't really gone through it but it looks like it's very similar to the Kaplan book. So I have pretty much made up my mind about buying Dr. Collins. I'm retaking my PCAT in Jan. Hope this helped.