Best & Worst Places for Rotations???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Aucdoctobe

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a question for FMG's and IMG's. What were the best and worst places to do clinicials? I would love to hear your stories!
 
Aucdoctobe said:
I have a question for FMG's and IMG's. What were the best and worst places to do clinicials? I would love to hear your stories!


Thats not really a question that can be answered. There are places that are good, and bad.... But, nobody has been to all of them to decide which is best.

Generally though, I'd say a large hospital where you can do all your core rotations plus electives is perhaps better (certainly faster and easier) than having to travel around the country learning a new hospital and system every few months.
 
As a "Rossy", I really "liked" my Internal Medicine core rotation at St. Vincent Catholic Medical Centers (Brookyn-Queens). I liked it b/c I learned alot of PRACTICAL internal medicine skills, and I feel confident/ready to function as an IM intern NOW that I finished my core there. However, please note that I was somewhat "aggressive" when it came to my education. I asked a lot of questions, and "demanded" that my resident let me perform all NG Tubes, ABGs, Heplocks, ........and yes, rectals. Other students with me who were not as aggressive/demanding as I was did not think the rotation was good at all.

Having said that, My experience there was VERY VERY VERY intense-Lots of critisizing/yelling/screeming going on. I really hated the calls there (q3 sometimes q2).Before my rotation there, I was considering IM (Cardiology) as a possible carreer. But now that I am done with the rotation, I can tell you with 100% certainty that I WILL NEVER GO INTO INTERNAL MEDICINE, even if they offered me a seat at Harvard!!!!!!! I know I sound ironic, but despite the fact that this rotation "made me hate" Internal Medicine, I liked the fact that I learned a lot from it.

So, you could describe this rotation as a "bitter-sweet" rotation. If you want a laid-back "easy" core, this is NOT the one for you. The same goes for the Internal Medicine core rotation at King's County Hospital-SUNY Downstate.

Hope this helps!!
 
Leukocyte said:
As a "Rossy", I really "liked" my Internal Medicine core rotation at St. Vincent Catholic Medical Centers (Brookyn-Queens). I liked it b/c I learned alot of PRACTICAL internal medicine skills, and I feel confident/ready to function as an IM intern NOW that I finished my core there. However, please note that I was somewhat "aggressive" when it came to my education. I asked a lot of questions, and "demanded" that my resident let me perform all NG Tubes, ABGs, Heplocks, ........and yes, rectals. Other students with me who were not as aggressive/demanding as I was did not think the rotation was good at all.

Having said that, My experience there was VERY VERY VERY intense-Lots of critisizing/yelling/screeming going on. I really hated the calls there (q3 sometimes q2).Before my rotation there, I was considering IM (Cardiology) as a possible carreer. But now that I am done with the rotation, I can tell you with 100% certainty that I WILL NEVER GO INTO INTERNAL MEDICINE, even if they offered me a seat at Harvard!!!!!!! I know I sound ironic, but despite the fact that this rotation "made me hate" Internal Medicine, I liked the fact that I learned a lot from it.

So, you could describe this rotation as a "bitter-sweet" rotation. If you want a laid-back "easy" core, this is NOT the one for you. The same goes for the Internal Medicine core rotation at King's County Hospital-SUNY Downstate.

Hope this helps!!


Awesome Review! I hope people have more to say.

Oh, and I agree with you also Flighterdoc, but it's nice to hear of people's experiences.