Best/worst states in which to practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eeyore spice

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Easiest/fewest requirements? Most privileges/respect? I'm willing to pack up and move just about anywhere for my PGY1, so let's hear your opinions for where residents/pharmacists have it easiest. If there's a website that compares pharmacy-related state laws, that would be awesome.

Members don't see this ad.

FL seems like a pretty cool state to work in where RPh has prescriptive authority and there is no state income tax. FL is also popular state for people to go and retire so the senior citizens will help ensure there are plenty of pharmacist jobs/positions available.

Members don't see this ad :)
FL seems like a pretty cool state to work in where RPh has prescriptive authority and there is no state income tax. FL is also popular state for people to go and retire so the senior citizens will help ensure there are plenty of pharmacist jobs/positions available.

Since when do pharmacists have prescriptive authority in Florida?

What about California? small size cities

Iglooland. Progressive with MTM, still jobs in rural Igloo villages. I like it here.

how-to-build-an-igloo.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
The VA is great, but people shouldn't think they are going to be RXing stuf all the time. The majority of VA pharmacists don't have RX privs and those that do work under a protocol (anti-coag, MTM, etc).

...I didn't know any of them had privileges. So they're independent of state laws?

Maybe I should have asked what's the best state to work in and why?

...I didn't know any of them had privileges. So they're independent of state laws?

Maybe I should have asked what's the best state to work in and why?
The VA doesn't follow any state laws. You should know by now that national governmnet facilities are exempt from state laws

My pharmacy manager told me that MI is the worst state to practice pharmacy in. She suggested going to TX or any southwestern state.

Hey all,

I was hoping to get this thread going again... I am currently a PGY1 at a hospital in the midwest. I have experience with practicing pharmacy in 3 states. My husband will be matching into a medical residency next year and we could move pretty much anywhere. Besides WI, MN and IA, I am pretty unfamiliar with the pros/cons of pharmacy in other states. The only thing I've heard is New York is not a great place to practice due to limited responsibilities of pharmacists (never experienced this though, just heard from a few people).

Any thoughts of which states are the most progressive in terms of pharmacy practice? Thanks!

Just work at the VA......:idea:
I am quite disappointed in the VA. I talked to 10 VAs at Midyear, and most of them (besides ones in small towns) told me they either don't hire on their residents, or maybe hire 1 out of 4.

WA state is super rad. At my hospital, we have lots of prescriptive protocols, and WA pharmacists are allowed to administer medications as well. Also, no state income tax (but high sales tax :p).

I've heard some scary things about Michigan too...

New Jersey is decent, so are those of the Plains states where I have worked.

Though had I not chosen industry, I would have signed up for the Indian Health Service. :)

I've heard some scary things about Michigan too...

New Jersey is decent, so are those of the Plains states where I have worked.

Though had I not chosen industry, I would have signed up for the Indian Health Service. :)

Please enlighten a future MI pharmacist, privately if you'd like :scared: