Better Chance with D.O. or M.D.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

williamsfan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
This is my first time posting on this forum. I just wanted to know as an African-American which route would I have more of a chance getting into. I do understand the differences between the two. I have had the opportunity to shadow three doctors and a nurse anesthetist. So I have seen different things in the health care field.

I do have two aunt's whom are nurses and a few cousins who are doctors. I do have some insight that some other minorities may not have had at my age ( I am 19). However, I am still worried about getting into medical school and if I am good enough. It is.. it just seems hard to me always being around white people. This is how I grew up around whites and asians. I was always seen as the white black kid in high school because I cared about my grades.

I am now entering my sophomore year of college and I will be shadowing a doctor in the local area as well as volunteering at the hospital and participating in activities with other campus organizations.

During my freshman year I volunteered with and participated in (ACS) American Chemical Society, Black Student Union, Leadership Scholars, and varsity tennis. The thing I am most proud of though during my freshmen year is helping to establish an AMSA (American Medical Student Association) chapter on campus. I am currently president of the organization and we have lots of things planned for the current members and the incoming freshmen. Lastly I finished freshmen year with a 4.0 gpa.

Would you all say I am on the right track or am I going about this all wrong? I really want to be a doctor. I love helping people and I have always had this attitude of putting others first. I live to see smiles on other peoples faces. This is all I want I work so hard for everything and I will work as hard as the good lord will allow me to in order to reach my goals.

P.S. Do any of you ever feel inferior to your white/asian/indian classmates? At times I feel like they were born naturally smarter than I was. Or perhaps they just had opportunities that I could have only dreamed of.

Members don't see this ad.

P.S. Do any of you ever feel inferior to your white/asian/indian classmates? At times I feel like they were born naturally smarter than I was. Or perhaps they just had opportunities that I could have only dreamed of.

I find your post offensive and it seems to hint at a bit of reverse racism. No one cares what color you are. Period. No one, and I really mean this, no one will care at all what color you are, what religion you are, or your sexual orientation. What they will care about is if you take measures to segregate yourself by playing the race card in your life. All of the standard advice holds true, work hard, be nice, and don't be a di@@. You will have no trouble at all getting into any medical school if you follow this advice.

And as a philosophical discussion, so what if another race is smarter? One can make the argument that certain cultures value certain things more than others, or that certain races may be genetically gifted at certain things. But none of this really matters to the individual. You cannot change any of this. All you can do is work hard, be nice and not be a di@@. Such is life.

I wouldn't say the post is offensive or racist or whatever else. Intimidation for whatever reason is caused by an insecurity in yourself. I learned from a very young age not to let people's perception of my race affect the things I do (people never know what I am- my dad is all mixed up and so is my mom- I have blue eyes, olive skin, and dirty blond curly hair). I am constantly asked about my race and I always ask, "Why does it matter?" If you don't get over your insecurities about other people you will become isolated and miss out on really great experiences in your life. You need to ask yourself why you always feel uncomfortable around "white" people- I'm sure it is based on how you think they perceive you or stereotypes you have about them. Get over and focus on what is really important- you.
You seem to be on the right track as far as medical school goes. It seems like you have your academics in check. Keep it up and in the meantime get out of your comfort zone and extend your friend circle.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I find your post offensive and it seems to hint at a bit of reverse racism. No one cares what color you are. Period. No one, and I really mean this, no one will care at all what color you are, what religion you are, or your sexual orientation. What they will care about is if you take measures to segregate yourself by playing the race card in your life. All of the standard advice holds true, work hard, be nice, and don't be a di@@. You will have no trouble at all getting into any medical school if you follow this advice.

And as a philosophical discussion, so what if another race is smarter? One can make the argument that certain cultures value certain things more than others, or that certain races may be genetically gifted at certain things. But none of this really matters to the individual. You cannot change any of this. All you can do is work hard, be nice and not be a di@@. Such is life.
I didn't mean to come across that way. I was just wondering what you all thought.

I wouldn't say the post is offensive or racist or whatever else. Intimidation for whatever reason is caused by an insecurity in yourself. I learned from a very young age not to let people's perception of my race affect the things I do (people never know what I am- my dad is all mixed up and so is my mom- I have blue eyes, olive skin, and dirty blond curly hair). I am constantly asked about my race and I always ask, "Why does it matter?" If you don't get over your insecurities about other people you will become isolated and miss out on really great experiences in your life. You need to ask yourself why you always feel uncomfortable around "white" people- I'm sure it is based on how you think they perceive you or stereotypes you have about them. Get over and focus on what is really important- you.
You seem to be on the right track as far as medical school goes. It seems like you have your academics in check. Keep it up and in the meantime get out of your comfort zone and extend your friend circle.

Thank you for understanding. Most of my friends are white. I just was talking classroom wise! Lastly, thank you for the encouragement!

You should never feel intimidated in the classroom especially because of someone's race. By the time you get into medical school it will be a whole new game and everyone is starting from the bottom.

How is this a thread about D.O. or M.D.? Also- Never. I found if someone was doing better than me in a particular class they generally worked much harder.

No, never felt inferior to anyone because of race.

No, never felt inferior to anyone because of race.

This. You'll be amazed at how many asian and white students I tutor at school. I believe I destroyed many stereotypes, atleast at my school, about black men.... It does get awkward being the only black guy in......hell everything:oops:

My background is a lot like yours. I went to private schools/ivy league... so I've always been one of the few black kids in class. I feel like, for a lot if my friends, I'm they're "token" black friend.

With that said, I have NEVER felt inferior to my classmates. Please don't fall into that trap. No "race" is inherently smarter than any other. It's just about how much work you put in. When you start to really look around, you'll see how flimsy and artificial that **** is. Just do you, homie. You'll be fine.

to answer the question: keep your grades up and apply wherever the hell you want!

I think you took his P.S. the wrong way, this is the Underrepresented in Healthcare section for a reason, and one of the main reason is to relate with the few URM pre meds out there.

I would say that I dont feel inferior especially now that im a sophomore but going into my first science classes as the only AA, and having no science background like my peers I felt somewhat disadvantaged. And I could see how someone else in my shoes might feel inferior to the other students with well developed study techniques and nice school supplies.

I think you took his P.S. the wrong way, this is the Underrepresented in Healthcare section for a reason, and one of the main reason is to relate with the few URM pre meds out there.

I would say that I dont feel inferior especially now that im a sophomore but going into my first science classes as the only AA, and having no science background like my peers I felt somewhat disadvantaged. And I could see how someone else in my shoes might feel inferior to the other students with well developed study techniques and nice school supplies.

+1 totally agree with this

To the OP to answer what I think was your original question, you will always statistically have a better chance of getting into a DO school but that is the same for everyone because generally their stats are lower than MD school's although they are getting more and more competitive. However from the looks of it, if you maintain a high GPA and secure a solid MCAT score, I'm sure you could get into an MD school.

It looks like you are on the right track, try to seek out some volunteer and research (if you like it) experience.