Better hand stability?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mkk55555

Reaction score
Hey guys!

We just started crown preps , and I'm having serious issues with knicking the adjacent tooth. I know this is a skill we develop overtime but any suggestions on like how to not knick teeth? Such a broad question i know but any tips at all would be great. (Crown prep on tooth 30 - issue is when doing the interproximals)

Members don't see this ad.

Learn to use "finger rests".

(If really worried, putting a matrix banc around the adjacent tooth might not be a bad idea.)

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys!

We just started crown preps , and I'm having serious issues with knicking the adjacent tooth. I know this is a skill we develop overtime but any suggestions on like how to not knick teeth? Such a broad question i know but any tips at all would be great. (Crown prep on tooth 30 - issue is when doing the interproximals)

Finger rest.

Use the skinniest bur you have and break the interproximal first before doing anything else. I use a size 10 or 12 slender diamond crown bur. Cut through, leaving a shell wall that can be flicked off. Cut looking perpendicular (directly visualizing the interproximal). Open the space until your 14 bur fits through without touching the adjacent tooth.

Members don't see this ad :)
For me I drop the occlusion first. This gives less tooth structure to cut through. I then use a course grit needle bur to break contact. I try to leave a shell wall, like Ivy.ch suggested. Are you doing Ceramic or Metal preps? I think that makes a big difference. If it’s ceramic then you can take more off the tooth prep which gives more room for the bur. If it’s metal then it might just be something that comes with practice.

On a good note, natural teeth are different than plastic teeth. So when you’re doing them in the mouth there is less chance of nicking the adjacent tooth.

Reactions: 1 users
Fender wedges were a game changer for me. My school didn't have them - I bought some from Garrison dental myself. worth it.

if not, you can try putting wooden wedges in a cup of water for 5min. then insert one from the B, one from the L and you will create plenty of space for yourself.

I like to reduce occlusal first, then make my B/L margin and then basically create a little pathway for the proximal reduction last.
1600934178244.png

Reactions: 1 users
Confidence is key, be aggressive and it will turn out great!