better Pathology review book -- BRS or Goljan Pathology reviw????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amoxicillin

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pathology BRS or Goljan Pathology Review

which is better to use for my course and in preparation for the boards.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not familiear with the other book, but path BRS is awesome. Definitely the best of the BRS series. It offers just the right amount of information necessary to do well, but does not throw in superfluos info that you'll never get asked. REally great book... it prepared me well for both my pathology final exam and Step 1.

goljan is a path god,,,,brs is good but just not enough at least for me. go with goljan you cant go wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that Robbins Review of Path is worth buying. Full color pictures, many answer choices, full clinical vignettes, well-explained answers with cited page numbers from Big Robbins.

No question, Goljan.

For me, Goljan is much, much better than BRS. Goljan offers more explanation, rather than just stating facts. I agree with the above poster that said Robbins review of path is a very good resource.

DHMO said:
For me, Goljan is much, much better than BRS. Goljan offers more explanation, rather than just stating facts. I agree with the above poster that said Robbins review of path is a very good resource.

I had both, ended up using Goljan more. I swear by Goljan. Only minor gripes are that it needs a better index, and the type is really small.
FWIW Ended up very happy with my Step 1 score.
Good luck

Goljan, Goljan, Goljan. I want to be him when I grow up.

He can explain a whole topic in a page and a half and have you really understand it (as long as you at least have seen the topic before)

BRS is good for review, but Goljan is good for really learning it.

Just saw Goljan talk this past weekend. He's coming out with a new edition of his path review in august. Helps all of 2012'ers. More pics, way more practice questions, etc.

Goljan is SUPERIOR to BRS IMO!

I mostly dedicated my Step I studying to Goljan's Rapid Review path and it helped me tremendously!!! Learning the concepts the way goljan teaches them will also help you during 3rd yr...so I would Definetly invest in his book.

Should make this a poll for us MS1's thinking ahead.

BRS is the better review book, but it won't help to teach you Pathology. I'd say BRS if you have a solid base and just need to cram in some details. It's a much faster read. Goljan will do a lot more explaining if you didn't get it as well the first time or are using is as an adjunct to learning it the first time.

Goljan will make things you thought you could never understand, seem simple as cake. My advice- buy both, a new Goljan and an old/cheapo BRS path (i see em goin for $3 at my school). BRS path imho is a much quicker read and has alot of buzzwords etc boiled down to pretty basic stuff. But use and memorize Goljan in and out if you really wanna know your stuff cold

I agree with the consensus.
BRS is good for the loads of memorizing, but Goljan's explanations (that is, coupled with his audio lectures...not that I condone the ownership of unlicensed material...) are superb.

Stands out in my mind years after the fact.

Any tips on how to study from RR path? The outline format just doesn't resonate with me and I'm kind of regretting buying it. Not a very easy read.

Just curious what others have done.

Any tips on how to study from RR path? The outline format just doesn't resonate with me and I'm kind of regretting buying it. Not a very easy read.

Just curious what others have done.

I felt the exact same way after I bought RR. I got it in the mail and was like, "This is gonna be awesome!" I opened it up, saw that it was outline format (I had read this in the reviews on Amazon and figured it would be fine), and almost wanted to send it back. I held off because I heard from so many people on here that it was the absolute best text to integrate pathology into other subjects and that it can really help for Step 1. I kept it and slowly began integrating it into my studies. For example, when learning about the various pathogens that can cause pneumonia, I didn't necessarily use it as a primary source, but more as an outline as to what was really important and what I should be familiar with for when I begin board studying. One of the things I have found most helpful in the text are his large tables with tons of high-yield (or what I consider high-yield) information. When I learn path, I typically glance over my course notes to get a cursory review of the pathology we are studying. I will then read the sections in Robbins. After that, I'll look at RR path and make sure that I understand the way he presents the material, so that when I go back to review it for boards I can say, "Oh yeah, I remember what he's saying here." Personally, it is not a good primary learning source, but it is an excellent adjunct to your other sources. It has also really helped me with micro because he has so much of that in there.

Another example: we just finished endocrine system. My school did a crappy job of teaching the adrenogenital syndromes (congenital adrenal hyperplasia, like 17-hydroxylase deficiency, etc) and so I had to use another source. First Aid sucks because it's basically one small paragraph. Once you understand the synthesis of androgens and can recall the pathway entirely in your head, all you need to do is figure out what builds up proximal to and what is lacking distal to the enzyme block. Goljan lays this out step-by-step, and if you read it once, you'll pretty much understand it completely. You'll be able to answer nearly any question you could ever seen on CAH. One thing I do like about his format is that since it's outline format, things are presented in stepwise fashion. This works well for me because when I review things in my head I work from beginning to end.

I think you should just give it some time, slowly incorporate it into your normal study habits and hopefully it will grow on you.

Hope this helps.