better to be from a state with 0 schools than with 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tdsbird2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one that finds it strange that it is actually better to be from a state with no medical schools (Wyoming, Idaho, Montana) than from a state with one public med school (colorado for me). I say this because residents of Wyoming, Idaho, Montana are considered in-state at colorado, north dakota, oregon, U of W, and i think nevada and south dakota...so states with no med schools are actually states with 4 (maybe 6). Just interesting to me being from the state that is 50th in educational funding and seems not to care

Members don't see this ad.

Agreed with the above poster. I am from Idaho and we are only considered in-state with U of W. I wish it was for more!

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed with the above poster. I am from Idaho and we are only considered in-state with U of W. I wish it was for more!

You guys have 5 seats at U of Utah.

Am I the only one that finds it strange that it is actually better to be from a state with no medical schools (Wyoming, Idaho, Montana) than from a state with one public med school (colorado for me). I say this because residents of Wyoming, Idaho, Montana are considered in-state at colorado, north dakota, oregon, U of W, and i think nevada and south dakota...so states with no med schools are actually states with 4 (maybe 6). Just interesting to me being from the state that is 50th in educational funding and seems not to care

In those three states, you are only considered "in-state" at Washington. Utah, Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, and OregonHSU (and possibly some more) will each take a few students from that region under the WICHE initiatives, so long as you recieve funding from your state to pay for it.

New Mexico also will allow those guys to apply.

But yeh, it really isn't a trip to the beach applying from a state with no medical school. (as all the WICHE schools will let you apply but you don't get the exact same consideration as their residents)

Personally I think I <3 my 6 medical schools and their respective divisions.

UF, UCF, FSU, UMIAMI, FIU, USF. :thumbup:

To each his/her own....

Personally I think I <3 my 6 medical schools and their respective divisions.

UF, UCF, FSU, UMIAMI, FIU, USF. :thumbup:

To each his/her own....

Well that's not really the point of this thread though. It's about states with one vs states with none. (not states with six)

Being from Arkansas is pretty cool:

338 In-state applicants
ALL in-state applicants get an interview
155 seats of which 130 are reserved for instate
Acceptances are divided into districts, meaning that they have to take a certain number of ppl from Northwest Ark (Fayetteville area), Northeast Ark, Central Ark (Little Rock), Southwest Ark, and Southeast Ark. I'm from southeast arkansas and its really underprivileged down here so I know there are very few applicants which increases my chances of getting in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep I also have 1 instate school (CO) but thanks to the P's living in IL, I picked up another instate (Rush) too.

My question on a matter of equity is how some states (CO, U of IL, most of the midwest public schools) offer around 30% of their spots to out of staters, whereas others (Utah and Hawaii come to mind) only accept out of states with strong ties to the state. Does this mean we should petition our state senators to allow FEWER OOS applicants to our state school unless other state schools loosen up their requirements?

Seems like every state would benefit from more physicians who stay in the state, but very few (like Washington and I believe some of the PR schools) explicitly state that their purpose is largely to train MDs to serve their state's rural patients.

Since Delaware has no medical school, there's 20 spots a year for Delaware residents at Thomas Jefferson. But pretty much anyone who went to UDel (which has a lot of OOS undergrads) can take them up on this. There is no tuition break.

It's a pretty crap deal IMO.

Yep I also have 1 instate school (CO) but thanks to the P's living in IL, I picked up another instate (Rush) too.

My question on a matter of equity is how some states (CO, U of IL, most of the midwest public schools) offer around 30% of their spots to out of staters, whereas others (Utah and Hawaii come to mind) only accept out of states with strong ties to the state. Does this mean we should petition our state senators to allow FEWER OOS applicants to our state school unless other state schools loosen up their requirements?

Seems like every state would benefit from more physicians who stay in the state, but very few (like Washington and I believe some of the PR schools) explicitly state that their purpose is largely to train MDs to serve their state's rural patients.

If you look at the numbers though it seems like most of the states with one medical school let in a similar percentage of their in state applicants. The ones that let in 30% out of state just have bigger class sizes. (at least that is the impression that I got)

If you look at the numbers though it seems like most of the states with one medical school let in a similar percentage of their in state applicants. The ones that let in 30% out of state just have bigger class sizes. (at least that is the impression that I got)

Take a look at Texas schools... They let in very few out of state (even Baylor) and we have soooo many spots. Although the Texas app and match system is really weird which probably stops a lot of people from applying to Texas.

Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, and Alaska residents are considered in-state only with U. Washington.

Was at CU yesterday and the dean of admissions say they consider Wyoming (maybe other, I cant remember) as in-state students

I dunno... Some states are hard because they don't have a med school. Some have only one school (Colorado and Oklahoma, for examples), and some have many (i.e. Florida and California).

Now, Florida and Oklahoma seem to be pretty great states to be from, with a large percentage of applicants getting in.

It seems to me that you'll have similar difficulty in Colorado and states without a med school.

And then states like California are really tough, even though they have a lot of schools.

I think the moral of the story is that it's really tough no matter where you're from, and all you can do is make yourself more competitive. There are plenty of people who get in OOS in Oklahoma, Colorado, California, and most other schools, as well as in-staters.

I don't think it does any good to worry about which state you're from and wther it's "harder" for you or not. Just do what it takes to get in SOMEWHERE, in state or out.

Just think I am from California and we have many state schools, but they are some of the hardest schools to get into. Of all my friends who applied there were 4 of us, we got accepted into 10 schools none of them were in California. Only one interview at UC Davis. So having many state schools does not mean you will have an advantage

Are you sure Montana is considered IS for ND???I thought montana was only considered IS for UW.

Take a look at Texas schools... They let in very few out of state (even Baylor) and we have soooo many spots. Although the Texas app and match system is really weird which probably stops a lot of people from applying to Texas.
Ah sorry, I was just talking about states with one medical school. (and really only basing it off a few, like according to the MSAR about a third of in state applicants get into New Mexico and a few other one school states regardless of whether or not they let in OOS people. Like New Mexico doesn't and Kansas does but Kansas has a larger class so the numbers still seem to be fine)