Better to take a W?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

julius30591

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking a 2000 level stats class over the summer at my university. The course is being done in 6 weeks instead of 16 and there is only a TA, no professor because its summer. From what I understand most people say stats is supposed to be easy. Right now I have a solid B, but I'm wondering how it looks to get a B in a low level stats class? Am I better off taking a W and then taking it in fall and getting an A? There is a real professor in the fall and everyone says she is much easier. The TA for this class basically puts notes up and just says to copy them, then writes complicated questions for the tests. The average grade in the class is a low C and because we can see everyones grades online its clear there is no grade consistency. What would you do? Take a W or a B. Would I look like a complete ***** getting a B in stats?

Members don't see this ad.

Your question has been answered 10,000 times already.

Taking a W because you're getting a B... not exactly cool.

Taking a W cuz you're in danger of failing the class. Yeah, acceptable.

The decision is up to you. If you don't have many Ws, don't worry about it. If this becomes a regular thing for you, then yes, you have a problem to deal with.

Good luck

So you might get a B, so what? Say it was a problem with "scaffolding." I took 'physics for art majors' (I was an actual art major, and this was before I set my sights on med school), and I got a B because it was too dumbed down to get me to study. I then got a 96 in my 'physics for physics majors' class, which makes me not give a **** about the earlier pseudo-physics class.

Did you rock calculus? If so, fuggedhaboutit. I'm assuming that anyone thinking of withdrawing over a B doesn't have so many on his transcript. Plus, like you said, it's a 200-level. Show 'em what you got in the advanced classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, it would be my first W and I'm a junior. I feel like what's wrong with me, its stats?! But I feel like I'm being screwed over, as is everyone else in my stats class. I know that with a different professor I would be getting an A.

Definitely don't withdraw, or try and take it pass/fail. That is a huge red flag because med schools will assume you were about to fail that class, or get the lowest passing grade like something in the C range.

Take your B, and pick your professors/classes more carefully senior year!

I would hesitate to withdraw just because of a possible B. That said, one or two Ws on a transcript is fine. If you think this will be your only one, and you are willing to take the risk of someone asking questions about it in the interview, I don't think it's that big a deal. To be honest I'd be more worried about having wasted all that money taking it twice.