BEWARE of Kaplan >> mistakes!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yorkiepoo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very angry at KAPLAN!!! I have found lots of mistakes before on their online material and other test prep.. but this is the first time that it was so darn disgusting!!!

I just took Kaplan Exam 2 from the website (syllabus) and I'm going over the answers and I have only got to #25 but already I found 2 big mistakes!

#11 and #25 are definately WRONG!!!
I am just worried that there might be other incredulous material on there that I haven't caught :scared:

Seriously just look at this:

#25 Which of the following hormones is produced in the posterior pituitary:
a. calcitonin b. parathormone c. melatonin d. hCG e. vasopressin

correct answer (according to kaplan) : E

then the explanation says:
the only hormone produced in the posterior pituitary is e, vasopressin.

But I explicitly remember that vasopressin (aka ADH) is produced in the hypothalamus along with oxytocin and the the post pituitary only secretes.

#11 Which of the following occurs in the inner mitochondrial matrix:
a. glycolysis b. fermentation c. electron transport chain d. citric acid cycle e. pyruvate decarboxylation.

correct answer (according to kaplan) : C
explanation: a, b and e occur in the cytoplasm. d occurs in the matix. and c occurs in the inner mitochondrial membrane.

This is ridiculous.. I'm gunna go see what else they may have messed up! grr :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

yorkiepoo said:
I am very angry at KAPLAN!!! I have found lots of mistakes before on their online material and other test prep.. but this is the first time that it was so darn disgusting!!!

I just took Kaplan Exam 2 from the website (syllabus) and I'm going over the answers and I have only got to #25 but already I found 2 big mistakes!

I am just worried that there might be other incredulous material on there that I haven't caught :scared:

But I explicitly remember that vasopressin (aka ADH) is produced in the hypothalamus along with oxytocin and the the post pituitary only secretes.

a. glycolysis b. fermentation c. electron transport chain d. citric acid cycle e. pyruvate decarboxylation.

explanation: a, b and e occur in the cytoplasm. d occurs in the matix. and c occurs in the inner mitochondrial membrane.

This is ridiculous.. I'm gunna go see what else they may have messed up! grr :mad:

what's wrong with #11?

yorkiepoo,

are you thinking too much?

"the only hormone produced in the posterior pituitary is e, vasopressin."

they probably meant out of the choices, that's the only hormone? If they actually list oxytocin there and said vasopressin is the only hormone produced by posterior pituitary (neurosecretory cell produced it, and posterior pituitary secretes it), then that's a different story.

#11 is definitely right. I don't see why it's wrong. If you do know why it's wrong, can you please explain to me?

it says inner mitochondrial MATRIX (the matrix is also inside).. so it should be TCA.. but if they meant inner mitochondrial membrane.. it would be electron transport chain

and I was just looking at the explanation for #26

#26 the pancreas produces hormones which:

a. regulate blood glucose levels.. yeah that is right but look at their explanation!!!

The hormones that are produces int he pancreas are glucagon, insulin and pancreatic amylase. Glucagon decreases blood glucose levels, while insulin increases blood glucose levels.

WHAT?! NO! THAT IS WRONG! BACKWARDS! How would I learn anything about that if KAPLAN is giving out totally bogus explanations!

Members don't see this ad :)
yorkiepoo said:

The electron transport chain does occur in the inner mitochondrial membrane.
I just went over this in Cell biology and biochemistry last year Complex I, II, III, IV are inner mitocondrial membrane protiens. That pump H+ in the space bewteen the inner and outer membrane to create a gradient to generate ATP via ATP synthase.

yorkiepoo said:
it says inner mitochondrial MATRIX (the matrix is also inside).. so it should be TCA.. but if they meant inner mitochondrial membrane.. it would be electron transport chain

and I was just looking at the explanation for #26

#26 the pancreas produces hormones which:

a. regulate blood glucose levels.. yeah that is right but look at their explanation!!!

The hormones that are produces int he pancreas are glucagon, insulin and pancreatic amylase. Glucagon decreases blood glucose levels, while insulin increases blood glucose levels.

WHAT?! NO! THAT IS WRONG! BACKWARDS! How would I learn anything about that if KAPLAN is giving out totally bogus explanations!

lol that one is funny

yorkiepoo said:
but the question says MATRIX.. thats the point
but isn't the matrix and inner membrane contiguous? ...that they are physically similar, but different by nomenclature only?

yorkiepoo said:
but the question says MATRIX.. thats the point

but isn't the matrix and inner membrane contiguous? ...that they are physically similar, but different by nomenclature only?

Hey man dont sweat it. I'm going over Kaplan's answer to a problem that states that the proper resonance structure for a certain molecule contains a pentavalent carbon. Like Forrest Gump once said ... "It happens"
Bumps my score to a 20 though!

yorkiepoo said:

I am confused too. maybe it should've said inner portion of mitochondria for ETC. citric acid cycle occurs in the matrix of mitochondria.

oh by the way, isn't pyruvate decarboxylation occur in matrix of mitochondria too????? I thought it does. cytoplasm is glycolysis only i believe.

edit: the kaplan blue book in page 108 says
"1. pyruvate decarboxylation: the pyruvate formed during glycolysis is transported from cytoplasm into the mitochondrial matrix where it is decarboxylated."

yorkiepoo said:

U r totally right. both 11 and 25 are wrong.
i just wrote my opinion above for number 25.
11 is wrong because posterior pituaitary doesn't produce any hormones.
it only stores oxytocin and ADH that are made FROM hypothalamus and secretes them, but again, it NEVER produce any hormones.

Dont get caught up on names. Understand what is going on here. Protons are pumped from the matrix through the inner mitochondrial membrane, where they collect in the inner membrance space. The concentration of protons are greater in the inner membrance space than in the matrix which creates a proton concentration higher in the inner space, which will ultimatly produce a "proton motor force" that will power the ATP synthase enzyme (which is embedded in the inner membrane) to create ATP. [FYI: for every 3 protons fed back into the matrix via the ATP synthase enzyme, 1 ATP is produced.)

So the answer to 11, C is correct. The ETC does occur in the inner mitochondrial matrix. More accuratly, we can also say it occurs via the inner membrane as well, since protons are taken from NADPH and FADH2 and shuttled via the embedded enzyme complexes on the inner membrane. Hope this helps! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
stop lying,there is no such a mistake.U just want people to stop trusting KAPLAN

Yeap pyruvate decarboxylation definitely takes place in mitochondrial matrix NOT cytoplasm.

I think this guy (or girl)'s point here is that the info is unclear. On the post pit problem, OBVIOUSLY the BEST answer is ADH but the truth is that none of the options is technically correct since the post pit does not actually PRODUCE any hormones -- a fact that the real DAT could very easily test on! The "matrix" question got me too because I read "matrix" and thought KREB'S! Move on. Obviously we know that Kreb's is in the matrix and the ETC occurs across the inner mitochondrial membrane (which is what they meant). It's a semantics issue but at the very least I'll be double-checking the wording on questions when I take the real thing tomorrow!

There are other mistakes in Kaplan too, but all in all I think it's a very solid prep. I just wish they were a little more polished -- especially for the money we shell out!

Mack

L8DYV said:
Dont get caught up on names. Understand what is going on here. Protons are pumped from the matrix through the inner mitochondrial membrane, where they collect in the inner membrance space. The concentration of protons are greater in the inner membrance space than in the matrix which creates a proton concentration higher in the inner space, which will ultimatly produce a "proton motor force" that will power the ATP synthase enzyme (which is embedded in the inner membrane) to create ATP. [FYI: for every 3 protons fed back into the matrix via the ATP synthase enzyme, 1 ATP is produced.)

So the answer to 11, C is correct. The ETC does occur in the inner mitochondrial matrix. More accuratly, we can also say it occurs via the inner membrane as well, since protons are taken from NADPH and FADH2 and shuttled via the embedded enzyme complexes on the inner membrane. Hope this helps! ;)
ETC occurs in no other place but the inner mitochondrial membrane, you absolutely have to get caught up on the names because they are different as is what occurs in each. As a side note it is "electron motive force" not motor.
High energy electrons are taken from NADH and FADH2 not protons.
Here are so outstanding animations that explains all this stuff in great clarity.

http://vcell.ndsu.nodak.edu/animations/home.htm

Resonance said:
ETC occurs in no other place but the inner mitochondrial membrane, you absolutely have to get caught up on the names because they are different as is what occurs in each. As a side note it is "electron motive force" not motor.
High energy electrons are taken from NADH and FADH2 not protons.
Here are so outstanding animations that explains all this stuff in great clarity.

http://vcell.ndsu.nodak.edu/animations/home.htm

Your pasted animation calls them protons not electrons, but the two entities are synonymous in this case. The reason why I prefer to use the term protons because it helps us explain where the H+ (protons from FADH2 and NADH that are produced from glycolysis and Krebs cycles) are shuttled through the innermembrance (and in effect regenerate FAD and NAD+, to be reused again in glycolysis and krebs cycle.)

In my biochem class, my teacher had a strong german accent and it always sounded like "motor" [my bad, I stand corrected]. However, the electron motive force is synonymous with the proton motive force, both terms are interchangeable. Look it up on the net, you'll see.

yorkiepoo said:

I am not surprized at all. I found and reported ~40 mistakes last yr.

yorkiepoo said:

you are absolutely right. Vasopressin, Arginine vasopressin, also known as argipressin or antidiuretic hormone (ADH) are peptide hormones produced in the hypothalamus. Most of it is stored in the posterior part of the pituitary gland to be released into the blood stream; some of it is also released directly into the brain.

yorkiepoo said:

C. electron transport chain occurs in the inner mitochondrial membrane. We don't have an "inner mitochondrial matrix" which seems to be a hybrid of "inner mitochondrial membrane" & "mitochondrial matrix."

components:
1) Matrix
2) intermembrane space
3) Inner membrane
4) Outer membrane
5) Crista

L8DYV said:
Dont get caught up on names. Understand what is going on here....

:thumbup:

I agree with L8DYV 100%. You'll do fine as long as you understand the concepts. The real DAT has no ambiguities.

P.S. L8DYV is a multi-talented & very sharp student. I personally pay close attention to her advice.

L8DYV said:
Your pasted animation calls them protons not electrons, but the two entities are synonymous in this case. The reason why I prefer to use the term protons because it helps us explain where the H+ (protons from FADH2 and NADH that are produced from glycolysis and Krebs cycles) are shuttled through the innermembrance (and in effect regenerate FAD and NAD+, to be reused again in glycolysis and krebs cycle.)

In my biochem class, my teacher had a strong german accent and it always sounded like "motor" [my bad, I stand corrected]. However, the electron motive force is synonymous with the proton motive force, both terms are interchangeable. Look it up on the net, you'll see.
No, it refers to them as electrons (at 1:16 and 1:42).

Resonance said:
No, it refers to them as electrons (at 1:16 and 1:42).

It refers to both.

"
The electron transport chain (ETC) is located in the inner membrane of the mitochondria.

NaDH is the electron donor for the ETC.

Electron donation to the first complex (blue) and hydrogen ion pumping are coupled.

The donated electrons are then passed to the first mobile carrier protein (pink).

The electrons are then passed to the second complex (red). This transfer is again coupled with the pumping of hydrogen ions.

Electrons are then passed to the second mobile carrier protein (purple).

Next, the electrons are transferred to the third complex (orange).

While contained by the third complex, the electrons interact with oxygen and hydrogen ions.

The reaction ends with hydrogen ions, or protons, being pumped across the membrane and the release of water molecules (H2O).

The pumping of protons creates a proton gradient.

The hydrogen ion pumping actions of the ETC are coupled with ATP synthesis.

"

yorkiepoo said:

KAPLAN HAS LOTS OF MISTAKES, HOWEVER, SO DO THE OTHER PREP SOFTWARE. AS FOR WHAT YOU LISTED I DON'T SEE THE MISTAKES AND MAYBE YOU NEED TO STUDY A LITTLE LESS OR CHILL OUT.

WHAT SHOULD REALLY BOTHER YOU IS THE FACT THAT KAPLAN WON'T PREPARE YOU FOR THE DAT.

KAPLAN WAS A BIG WASTE OF TIME FOR ME SO IT DIDN'T MATTER IF IT HAD INCORRECT ANSWERS OR NOT. NONE OF THESE QUESTIONS WERE ON MY DAT.

yorkiepoo said:

the exact same problem is found in barron bio number 38 says which of the following hormone is produced in the posterior pituitary and answer is oxytocin.

[/QUOTE] #11 Which of the following occurs in the inner mitochondrial matrix:

This is ridiculous.. I'm gunna go see what else they may have messed up! grr :mad:[/QUOTE]

funny thing is no one mentioned that pyruvate decarbox. doesn't occur in the cytoplasm. it occurs in the matrix. they probably meant to say inner mito. membrane and had a typo. then proceeded to explain it wrong as well - dont use one source for studying, supplement with other bio material. same goes for kaplan pat - its too easy. double check facts before memorizing. lesson learned

funny thing is no one mentioned that pyruvate decarbox. doesn't occur in the cytoplasm. it occurs in the matrix.

the funnier thing is, i said it first :)

oops - didn't read all the posts they were getting a little boring haha

then i surrender - you said it first you smarty pants

NilamPatel said:
oops - didn't read all the posts they were getting a little boring haha

then i surrender - you said it first you smarty pants

i don't wear pants. :laugh:
take a guess what i am wearing :eek:

joonkimdds said:
i don't wear pants. :laugh:
take a guess what i am wearing :eek:

i don't think this is apropriate dental talk, shouldn't we be discussing your enamel or wisdom teeth

I totally agree with you. I'm also taking the kaplan class and found tons of mistakes all over their practice tests. Kaplan course is a SCAM. I paid $1299 for sh_t... I've been telling as many people as I can not to take their class.