Beyond Depressed :o(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ocean11

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone... well first let me tell you all my score 7,10,10,Q

I am so totally depressed about my verbal, I feel like crying... I can't believe I did so badly... I feel that all my med school dreams are shattered and that I'm going to have to go to the Carribean... oh my GPA is a 3.5 as well, average,... that 7 in verbal is going to kill me :oops:( I know it...

f&uck.... I studied my ass off for this test.... two months... down the f&ucking drain.... I honestly don't know what I'm going to do.... redo it... f&ck first time I did the MCAT got same stats... although an 11 in Physics but got a 5 on verbal... I just can't do it, I don't know I think I'm cursed.... I have done everything... Princeton.. extra tests from AAMC... and I was scoring 9's and 10's on them pre-mcat... but now.... I don't know.. I think I'm cursed and maybe I'm destined for the Carribean....

k' gonna go and get more kleenex....:( :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

sorry to hear :( dont give up hope ocean11! that verbal is going to give you some trouble, sure, but you have a solid gpa. just boost up as much of the rest of your application as possible, write some tremendous essays to the schools you apply to, and make sure you get in a handy dose of those not-so-numbers oriented schools (GW, Drexel, etc), and maybe look into a DO school or two. I know its tough man, but just hang in there, give a shot, and if it doesn't work out, just give the MCAT one more try, you'll never know what happens. people do get in with not so hot mcats, just have faith

:) :)

thanx DW, I already applied to AMCAS... my application is alright it's just that verbal score... has anyone every heard of someone getting in with a 7?

I mentioned this in another thread but I was told of an accepted applicant with a MCAT score of 15. No not on a section. I'm talking about the whole thing.

So this person couldn't of gotten anything higher then a 5 on verbal. This was an extreme case but something to think about I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ocean,

Your verbal score does not match up with your P and B. My suspicion is that you were sweating hard (too hard) during the verbal section, which is the first section of the day. Based on your other scores i would say it is not representative of your abilities.

So, here is what i have to say: F#ck the kleenex! Your two months were not wasted. Capitalize on the studying you've already done. You've obviously learned the science well, now keep on top of it, build on the science skills you have, and attack the verbal like your life depends on it. Your goal is within sight, you are one section away from it.

You have an opportunity now, you are experienced with the mcat, you have a sound knowledge base... you can either let those two assets atrophy, or you can build on them and come back harder than ever. The choice is yours.

good luck in whatever you choose.

z

hey ocean, dont worry, im not sure when ur applying but maybe you can take it agian in AUg? U know i studied harder than anyone i know.. i knew everything so well yet i scored pretty low as well. I was like u, scoring 10s on all averbal practices and then a 6 on the real one in april and an 8 this time. Some people just are not good at those tests, or all it taeks is getting nervous and throwing your timing off on a sectoin etc. Even though i dont get stellar scores on mcat i would put my knowledge of biology and chem etc up agains anyone, even though my scores dont reflect it. They test you on such a small portion of the material taht you may have just got stuff you were not great at.. I know i didnt get stuff that im good at and i know poeple arent etc. Even though ur sciences are great. hey verbal is tough.. i mean dont dispair, apply with it and if it doesnt owrk out, try again, all you can do is keep trying. When i saw my 6 in verbal i felt sooo stressed and horrible but you get through belive me you do. good luck! ull be fine

Originally posted by danwsu
I mentioned this in another thread but I was told of an accepted applicant with a MCAT score of 15. No not on a section. I'm talking about the whole thing.

So this person couldn't of gotten anything higher then a 5 on verbal. This was an extreme case but something to think about I guess.

accepted to medical school?

No Ocean, you can't give up. The important thing is that you have shown a positive trend in verbal. I think you will be okay. Is you PS well written? I suspect it is, you have a nice command of the language (minus the sporadic "Fu%K" here and there :p). I also hear that a "Q" in the writing sample is not bad at all. I think they will look past your VR.

I am the verbal disaster queen! I improved this time; my VR is nowhere balanced with my other scores, but I am not going to shy away from my dreams because of one subtest. Hang in there sweety.:love: PM me if you want to talk.

I know how you feel getting a 7 in physical. Well what can you do. Get all those secondaries in and hope for the best.:)

Thank you so much everybody, I feel better already...

Your advice makes me feel much better, I already spent over a grand applying to AMCAS and am just going to hope for the best... it is only one subtest and I'm also going to get it re-scored... I still believe in my heart that I have a chance, however slim to get accepted to a med school :) sometime by 2003 and yeah if I don't get any interviews this year I am for sure re-doing it in April 2003

Thank-You you are all such an inspiration :)

Hi OCEAN11,

I know about someone, who got to UPen with a 7 in Verbal, but he got 13's in sciences. Anyway, I think you should still apply, try University of Miami, their average of acceptance is around 27 or 28. You fit RIGHT in BODY !!!!

Ocean11

You can pretty much look at any medical school, and I will guarantee that half of them have people in their first year class with MCAT scores about the same as yours.

If you step back and detach emotionally for a second, look at the statistics. There will be about 32,000 applicants this year for 17,000 spaces. The average applicant applies with about 26.5 (8.5, 9, 9) on the MCATs. Based on the numbers, they have to accept down to 25 or so to fill their classes. Granted, there are many factors being ignored (target groups and special access programs), but the point is still generally supported by the data. Your score is an acceptable score. I know someone that just finished GW and had a 26. She was not the lowest score in her class either.

There are many schools that will look at you with your exact scores. be as disappointed as you wish about your scores, but at the end of the day be honest that they are good enough if augmented by the other aspects of your application to land you in pleanty of med school classes.

Good luck and hopefully AAMC is done getting money from you (although their good friend AMCAS I'm sure has taken over that department nicely).