Bid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nine

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on BID program in boston? cush? malignant? prestigious?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

nine said:
Any thoughts on BID program in boston? cush? malignant? prestigious?
thanks
Any opinions? I interview there next week

nine said:
Any opinions? I interview there next week
Didn't make much of an impression on me when i interviewed two years ago. I even went back for a second look, and I was still a little blah on the program (I was looking for reasons to rank a Harvard program over the NYC programs, which I was mainly interested in for the location). BWH made a stronger and more favorable impression. The residents seemed more intense too.

Members don't see this ad :)
powermd said:
Didn't make much of an impression on me when i interviewed two years ago. I even went back for a second look, and I was still a little blah on the program (I was looking for reasons to rank a Harvard program over the NYC programs, which I was mainly interested in for the location). BWH made a stronger and more favorable impression. The residents seemed more intense too.
Interesting, I interviewed at BID about 1 month ago, and not a great impression either. I went in with high hopes but left just feeling kind of blah. I don't feel I got to interact with many residents on the day of and that is so important. Furthermore, many of the applicants seemed quite reserved....I had to doulble check and see if I was on the right interview...Well, I'm hoping to do a second look sometime in January.
As for The Brigham, I went in with low expectations and left thinking very highly of the place. Great chairman, organized day, the residents work hard but are quite prepared when they are done. And these folks were awesome people, met quite a few and just cool people. 30 residents q year make this the largest in the country so there was a concern on my end of becoming a number.

Long time listener, first time caller. I interviewed at BID 2 weeks ago; my impression was quite the opposite as those previously posted. I interacted with a gaggle of residents, both the night before at dinner, and the day of during lunch. I found them interesting, relaxed and easy to chat with--they all seemed to be happy there and had good things to say about the program. It seems like they hang-out with each other quite a bit outside of work, including monthly happy hours and other resident trips (I was told skiing and fishing trips) paid for by the department The work hours seemed reasonable. There were six other applicants on the day I interviewed, one of whom was an olympic gold medalist! I am interested in pain, and their program is one of the best in the country. Apparently they routinely take 2-3 residents/year into the program.
Anyway, I (obviously) really liked the program; I interview at the other two Harvard programs next month, so I cannot as of yet make a comparison.

Dirk_Diggler said:
Long time listener, first time caller. I interviewed at BID 2 weeks ago; my impression was quite the opposite as those previously posted. I interacted with a gaggle of residents, both the night before at dinner, and the day of during lunch. I found them interesting, relaxed and easy to chat with--they all seemed to be happy there and had good things to say about the program. It seems like they hang-out with each other quite a bit outside of work, including monthly happy hours and other resident trips (I was told skiing and fishing trips) paid for by the department The work hours seemed reasonable. There were six other applicants on the day I interviewed, one of whom was an olympic gold medalist! I am interested in pain, and their program is one of the best in the country. Apparently they routinely take 2-3 residents/year into the program.
Anyway, I (obviously) really liked the program; I interview at the other two Harvard programs next month, so I cannot as of yet make a comparison.

Dirk Diggler

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

Welcome to the forum. We'll be shooting in just a few minutes.

Your fluffer is over there, to the right.

my thoughts after interviewing at BID, MGH, and a lot of "big name" programs is that all of them have prestige to offer. If you want research, ask more about the opportunities. Columbia U had great research. If you are more clinically oriented, or academic inclined, ask the programs what they have to offer you specifically for that purpose. I have been surprised at similar these big name programs are on the surface, but when u know what u want and dig deeper is when u get info that u need

I had a very similar experience to the one that Dirk had. Not sure if you went on an off day BillyV. At the night before dinner, there were at least twice as many residents as there were applicants That is saying alot because I think there were maybe 8 applicants, including myself at the dinner. I spoke to all but maybe one of them and it was a great time. At the lunch the next day, I met a bunch more residents. Neither time was anything it close to being "reserved". I must have met half the residents in the program during the dinner/lunch/tour and all seemed pretty happy and didn't have a bad thing to say. It seemed like close to half the residents were women, as well as the chair and PD, which means a lot to me at least. My classmate interviewed about a week before me and she describes her day as being quite similar. BillyV, if you go for a second look maybe you will get the version I did.

I didn't meet as many residents at BWH on my interview, but the ones I did meet were pretty cool. However, a couple residents had to introduce themselves to other residents during the day, which speaks to what BillyV said about numbers.

MGH was a good day, but I only met a handful of residents. I plan on taking a second look at some point.

I didn't have too good of a resident interaction at Columbia so maybe I went on an off day. It seemed liked they had great research but all their residents had to do it, like it or not. The few I met were not the most engaging.