Big 4 in the caribbean vs DO schools stats....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I work at washu and I have seen DO residents and hospitalists. Nice try though.

Also a few people at washu doesn't make fmg more competitive.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Residents maybe. Hospitialists, there's going to be a few if not plenty. There is a crap ton of DO's working in the Harvard Medical network for example.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't say it does make them more competitive. According to the chief resident who is now a fellow in my lab they will not accept DOs in peds. They do have FMGs. Just giving an example of one place where they seem to prefer the letters MD over DO.

I didn't say it does make them more competitive. According to the chief resident who is now a fellow in my lab they will not accept DOs in peds. They do have FMGs. Just giving an example of one place where they seem to prefer the letters MD over DO.

Ok so if what you say is correct then yes, IMG's would have an advantage in that particular residency at that particular school over DO's, however we can play this game all day. Their are people who are beginning to say that matching Derm will be easier as a DO than an MD (bc of AOA match) does that mean ppl should go DO over MD if they want Derm? Not necessarily, obviously. You found one place that prefers IMG's over DO's when they probably don't take many IMG'S anyway. Congrats. However, keep in mind a good 95-99% of residencies in the US prefer the DO in a large way. That's why you see DO's matching competitive specialties at competitive hospitals like Cleveland clinic, Mayo, Harvard etc. You'd be hard pressed to find an IMG matching in an uncompetitive residency at any of the aforementioned hospitals (and if you do, it's an anomaly), where as its becoming standard for DO's.

Long story short, if you know 100% that you want to match a specialty at one of the only (if not the only) place that doesnt take DO's BEFORE you start medical school, then yes IMG>DO. You would also be required to be screened for insanity for making that decision before picking your school.

Members don't see this ad :)

That's great, except that peds isnt competitive to begin with.

thanks for the career advice

It's not career advice, its fact. Peds, IM, FM, and OBGYN are not competitive specialties to match into.

I find it somewhat surprising that some PD at Wash U will favor a FMG over a DO for a freaking uncompetitive peds residency...Oh well...The sky can be white in some people's eyes.

That's a lil insulting to DO, but maybe I'm just used to tcom standards.

MedPR is probably being facetious again.

DO is definitely more competitive than Carrib MD. My older brother actually went to Ross in the Dominica and said that one of his classmates had the following MCAT scores: 22, 15, 15. She got in just fine.

Fortunately for him, he matched into a good Rads residency while many Carrib students are still struggling just to get a residency.

MedPR is probably being facetious again.

DO is definitely more competitive than Carrib MD. My older brother actually went to Ross in the Dominica and said that one of his classmates had the following MCAT scores: 22, 15, 15. She got in just fine.

Fortunately for him, he matched into a good Rads residency while many Carrib students are still struggling just to get a residency.

Agree. Some friends are in/went to the Caribb. Out of an entering class, seems like 1/4 achieves their goals. However, the 3/4 were the once who should not have been there in the first place, the people who had 10 MCAT and 2.0 GPA's. However, the 1/4 like a friend of mine, they slipped through the cracks. One of them is an IM at Rush in Chicago (Ross Alumni). I feel that if you have a mid-20 MCAT, high GPA and you do not get into a US DO school, Ross/SGU could be good options. Just because its your last chance and if you are intelligent, they will provide you with what you need.

DO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Caribb

:diebanana: this thread is the banana

I went to a Caribbean school for a year (not one of the 4 that you mentioned) and then decided to apply DO this cycle, and so far 2 acceptances (DMU and AZCOM), still waiting to hear from Western-Pomona interview, which was the only other school I decided to interview at. I cancelled all of my other 7 interviews after I got my DMU acceptance. The point is, you should never ASSUME Caribbean=lower stats. Every person is really an individual who brings an assortment of different experiences (more than numbers) to the admissions committee and not everyone who goes to the Caribbean does so because they were denied admission to every other school. That certainly wasn't my case. I think choosing a place to receive a medical education is a very individual choice. What works for one, may not work for another. Even though there are some universal CONS to going to school in the Caribbean, there are many pluses that for SOME people outweigh the cons.
I'm just trying to get you do think outside of the box...SDN can sometimes be a pretty neurotic place. If I were to listen to some of the advice I got from here, I would have never even applied to medical school...many said I didn't have a chance, I had to redo my pre-med, retake my MCAT, basically be REBORN to get in. I decided to ignore SDN and go for it. 10 interview invites (and 2, possibly 3 acceptances) later, I'm glad I did. :D

True story, my friend went to a school that doesn't even require an MCAT. :smack:

That would drive me insane. I spent a crapload of money and time on that test, you better look at my damn score

I had to redo my pre-med, retake my MCAT, basically be REBORN to get in. I decided to ignore SDN and go for it.

that is some serious dedication

6386_4558.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
It would have been! I'm glad I DIDN'T do all that. Though some SDN members advised me to. Redoing my premed and retaking the MCAT would have been a extra boatload of $$$ that I now know I didn't need to spend. SDN neurosis.... Although there is some really valuable information on SDN, I think that in the future I won't ask for SDN "advice" when I apply for residency...they might tell me to go to medical school all over again!

It would have been! I'm glad I DIDN'T do all that. Though some SDN members advised me to. Redoing my premed and retaking the MCAT would have been a extra boatload of $$$ that I now know I didn't need to spend. SDN neurosis.... Although there is some really valuable information on SDN, I think that in the future I won't ask for SDN "advice" when I apply for residency...they might tell me to go to medical school all over again!

agreed.. i think the advice from the med students who post is very useful. the rest of the pre-med students, not so much

Reactions: 1 user
I find it somewhat surprising that some PD at Wash U will favor a FMG over a DO for a freaking uncompetitive peds residency...Oh well...The sky can be white in some people's eyes.

Any uncompetitive field of medicine, like peds or IM, at a good program will be competitive, and the applicants at these good programs are strong enough to do pretty much anything in medicine, but they choose to do something considered uncompetitive.

That's a lil insulting to DO, but maybe I'm just used to tcom standards.
How so? DO has grade replacement, carib doesn't. If your stats are so low that you cant get in, its unlikely they are high enough for CaribMD.

DO already matriculates lower stat people.. it's not an insult to them if that's what they choose to do.

I went to a Caribbean school for a year (not one of the 4 that you mentioned) and then decided to apply DO this cycle, and so far 2 acceptances (DMU and AZCOM), still waiting to hear from Western-Pomona interview, which was the only other school I decided to interview at. I cancelled all of my other 7 interviews after I got my DMU acceptance. The point is, you should never ASSUME Caribbean=lower stats. Every person is really an individual who brings an assortment of different experiences (more than numbers) to the admissions committee and not everyone who goes to the Caribbean does so because they were denied admission to every other school. That certainly wasn't my case. I think choosing a place to receive a medical education is a very individual choice. What works for one, may not work for another. Even though there are some universal CONS to going to school in the Caribbean, there are many pluses that for SOME people outweigh the cons.
I'm just trying to get you do think outside of the box...SDN can sometimes be a pretty neurotic place. If I were to listen to some of the advice I got from here, I would have never even applied to medical school...many said I didn't have a chance, I had to redo my pre-med, retake my MCAT, basically be REBORN to get in. I decided to ignore SDN and go for it. 10 interview invites (and 2, possibly 3 acceptances) later, I'm glad I did. :D
Congrats on your acceptances!

I've said this before, but to repeat myself: If you feel like you received poor advice on SDN, then stick around and and improve the advice by giving it out yourself! Other premeds who are facing the same difficult decisions will be very grateful

people told me on here "theres a garbage pile for apps like mine". I had 3 interviews by september.

I am Pro DO and Anti Caribbean, but I just want to say that I worked with a guy doing his derm residency at Dartmouth and he was from SGU. Anything is possible.

people told me on here "theres a garbage pile for apps like mine". I had 3 interviews by september.

Haha! I felt like I got that type of advice from here too! Why is it that there is so much negativity? Is it because people with high stats are mad that people with lower stats get just as far as they do, or is it because they really do believe that anybody that gets less than a 30 on the MCAT has no chance at passing the USMLE or COMLEX?

We should start a POSITIVE ADVICE thread for people who have been told on SDN that their app should go in the garbage pile. Not an "underdog thread", but a thread where people can be reassured that their life experiences, ECs, etc... are more worthwhile than the numbers on their app, by listening to others people's success stories. Pre-med SDN needs to be more positive and less neurotic!!!

Haha! I felt like I got that type of advice from here too! Why is it that there is so much negativity? Is it because people with high stats are mad that people with lower stats get just as far as they do, or is it because they really do believe that anybody that gets less than a 30 on the MCAT has no chance at passing the USMLE or COMLEX?

We should start a POSITIVE ADVICE thread for people who have been told on SDN that their app should go in the garbage pile. Not an "underdog thread", but a thread where people can be reassured that their life experiences, ECs, etc... are more worthwhile than the numbers on their app, by listening to others people's success stories. Pre-med SDN needs to be more positive and less neurotic!!!

Neurotic people get more done and do it better because of their neurosis.

Neurotic people get more done and do it better because of their neurosis.

that is true, but neurotic people also tend to give terrible advice because they assume that their situation fits everyone elses

that is true, but neurotic people also tend to give terrible advice because they assume that their situation fits everyone elses

Indeed

As a 4th year currently applying to residency from what I can tell, DOs are in a much much much better place compared with IMGs. Individual exceptions will always exist. If you want to practice in the US then train in the US, it will make your life easier.

I see some posts on valuemd.com that say if you can can get into the big 4 (SGU, ROSS, AUC, SABA) medical schools in the caribbean, you should have no problem getting into DO schools. How true is that? If that true, why would US students even venture going to these schools instead of DO school since I keep hearing that the attrition rate of these schools are so high and students who make it have a hard time finding residencies?

The truth: DO students have the same chances of getting residencies available to International students which includes Caribbean students. D.O. students, however, have their own residency matching in which they partake in as well.The truth.

The truth: DO students have the same chances of getting residencies available to International students which includes Caribbean students. D.O. students, however, have their own residency matching in which they partake in as well.The truth.

What.

I see some posts on valuemd.com that say if you can can get into the big 4 (SGU, ROSS, AUC, SABA) medical schools in the caribbean, you should have no problem getting into DO schools. How true is that? If that true, why would US students even venture going to these schools instead of DO school since I keep hearing that the attrition rate of these schools are so high and students who make it have a hard time finding residencies?

ATTENTION: DO's and CARIBBEAN MD's.

STOP ATTACKING EACHOTHER! THE MORE WE DONT GET ALONG, the more we weaken our credentials. Can't we get along? :)

Statistically false.

STOP ATTACKING EACHOTHER! THE MORE WE DONT GET ALONG, the more we weaken our credentials. Can't we get along? :)

No one's attacking anyone. However people have a right to know and understand the reality of the matter.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Keep telling yourself that!

Our credentials have nothing to do with theirs and their credentials have nothing to do with ours. These threads are almost exclusively started by Caribbean MDs. Most DOs don't really care about Caribbean MDs or any other IMG/FMGs and their chances as they have very little effect on our lives.

wow. this physically hurts me.

those caribbean students be stealin my residencies

I work at washu and I have seen DO residents and hospitalists. Nice try though.

Also a few people at washu doesn't make fmg more competitive.

MedPR I am getting kind of sick of your posts, they are all rude and very non supportive, which is the complete opposite of what this forum is about. and for the record, you don't work at wusm you work at barnes. theres a difference, check your id. if you did work at wusm like both fe and I do at a decent lab job, i bet you wouldn't have 10K posts on here.. aka you have a lot of time on your hand buddy. Go out and enjoy the nice weather, or maybe get a life? Maybe she didnt say something 100% accurate, so what dont cram it down her throat like haha they are wrong. Looking at your previous posts you say that your family has been non supportive and put you down continously saying youre not going to be a doctor. youd think that someone who has gone through that wouldn't treat others with the same disrespect, i guess not.

we get it you are the ALL knowing GURU of premedical information. good for you.

MedPR I am getting kind of sick of your posts, they are all rude and very non supportive, which is the complete opposite of what this forum is about. and for the record, you don't work at wusm you work at barnes. theres a difference, check your id. if you did work at wusm like both fe and I do at a decent lab job, i bet you wouldn't have 10K posts on here.. aka you have a lot of time on your hand buddy. Go out and enjoy the nice weather, or maybe get a life? Maybe she didnt say something 100% accurate, so what dont cram it down her throat like haha they are wrong. Looking at your previous posts you say that your family has been non supportive and put you down continously saying youre not going to be a doctor. youd think that someone who has gone through that wouldn't treat others with the same disrespect, i guess not.

tumblr_maq77ecMHG1qejf6u.gif

MedPR I am getting kind of sick of your posts,

Then don't read them. You're welcome, I solved your problem.

they are all rude and very non supportive, which is the complete opposite of what this forum is about. and for the record, you don't work at wusm you work at barnes. theres a difference, check your id. if you did work at wusm like both fe and I do at a decent lab job, i bet you wouldn't have 10K posts on here.. aka you have a lot of time on your hand buddy. Go out and enjoy the nice weather, or maybe get a life? Maybe she didnt say something 100% accurate, so what dont cram it down her throat like haha they are wrong. Looking at your previous posts you say that your family has been non supportive and put you down continously saying youre not going to be a doctor. youd think that someone who has gone through that wouldn't treat others with the same disrespect, i guess not.

Right, I do work at Barnes (and not at WUSOM). I said I worked at WUSM because not everyone knows that Barnes is affiliated with WUSOM and it was easier to type a different acronym than explain that as a Barnes employee, I see WUSOM staff everywhere. I used to work in a research lab at WU, and then I realized that Barnes is a better situation for me. My lab job is a straight 40 hour per week job during which I spend 30+ hours waiting for things to happen. It also pays more than any entry level lab job at WUSOM. My job also gives me the opportunity to interact with people in clinical medicine as well as people in academic medicine. My job also involves me traveling for conferences and attending board meetings focused on furthering the field. My job also does not hinge on a research grant (like many WUSOM jobs do) and therefore offers better job security. So sure, maybe my lab job isn't as great as your job is or as great as you imagine lab jobs can be, but there really isn't anything bad about it.

And no, not all of my posts are rude or unsupportive. Let me pull out a few examples.

I find it necessary to point out false information, especially when it's blatantly wrong and obviously completely made up. DOs can go just about anywhere they want provided they are competitive enough. Very few (if any) programs actually do not admit DOs at all. That's a total rumor and is one that needs to cease to be spread around. As a DO you probably won't get into the most prestigious places in the country, but you probably wouldn't have done that even as an MD. Simple statistics tells you that.

Edit:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=954669
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=954355
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=954631
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=953649
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=945089
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=914222

Last edited:
i hate to burst bubbles, but from what ive seen 90% of this forum is rude/unsupportive with borderline elitist: my school is better than your school attitudes, lol. so we dont need to single people out..i mean people told me on here not to even apply. thats why i respond to "what are my chances threads" for DO, so i can correct the *****s that tell people with average stats not to apply.

i hate to burst bubbles, but from what ive seen 90% of this forum is rude/unsupportive with borderline elitist: my school is better than your school attitudes, lol. so we dont need to single people out..i mean people told me on here not to even apply. thats why i respond to "what are my chances threads" for DO, so i can correct the *****s that tell people with average stats not to apply.

What would SDN be with out jackassary? Down right boring...

Nah dude. bijoux22 works at the almighty Washington University in St Louis School of Medicine and michow87 is a bright flower medical student. They're special and the rest of us aren't.

What would SDN be with out jackassary? Down right boring...

oh i know, thats half of why i post on here. im just saying, i have learned the sdn method and many people should learn this as well. When certain people post, instead of reading it I just assume it translates to "LMAO OMG IM SO MUCH BETTER THAN U MY SCHOOL ROCKS U SUCK 76% OF THIS MEANS IM AWESOME BASED ON A RANDOM STUDY THAT WAS DONE 30 YEARS AGO Y U NO WRITE MY ADVICE DOWN"

Nah dude. bijoux22 works at the almighty Washington University in St Louis School of Medicine and michow87 is a bright flower medical student. They're special and the rest of us aren't.

A man/woman after my own heart. :love::love::love:

completely untrue, most that get in with those numbers have really good ECs and that's why they get interviews because they stand out from other applicants. Ive seen everyone from chief ed scribes to people with 4.0 MS biomed, to 5+ year paramedics interview at acom that made up for a low mcat or gpa. And the matriculant average is still around a 3.45/3.39 26.5. If you think you can apply with a 3.0/25 and have mediocre ECs you are in for an unpleasant surprise.

If their EC's are so great but their numbers are low...of course they would probably still get an interview at one of the least competitive (brand new) DO schools. Sorry, but that didn't disprove my point. I'll agree that many DO schools have made great strides over the past decade with raising admission standards, but it feels like the minimum threshold for just getting in somewhere, has hardly budged thanks to so many new schools. And DO schools should stop putting any emphasis on EC's beyond what's needed to show that you know what you're getting into. The applicant pool is not strong enough, like allo's, to be able to add that layer of choosiness.

SDN is full of these:

polls_InternetToughGuy_0853_381652_poll_xlarge.jpeg

90% of the people here wouldn't say half the **** they say online in person

If their EC's are so great but their numbers are low...of course they would probably still get an interview at one of the least competitive (brand new) DO schools. Sorry, but that didn't disprove my point. I'll agree that many DO schools have made great strides over the past decade with raising admission standards, but it feels like the minimum threshold for just getting in somewhere, has hardly budged thanks to so many new schools. And DO schools should stop putting so much emphasis EC's beyond what's needed to show that you know what you're getting into. The applicant pool is not strong enough, like allo's, to be able to add that layer of choosiness.

this post is full of fail. I know someone with a 22 MCAT and a sub 3.0 science gpa interviewing at KCOM. I know someone with a 20 mcat interviewing at Nova. So that parts wrong. Stop putting so much emphasis on ECs? Again that's a terrible idea. So my friend who is chief ED scribe and sees tons of clinical cases on a daily basis, but has a low MCAT should not have been granted interviews? The applicant pool is strong. Youll understand when you go through this process. The schools you expect to give you an interview, dont always give you an interview. I was a little surprised when KCOM rejected medpr tbh and they havent rejected me yet.

SDN is full of these:

polls_InternetToughGuy_0853_381652_poll_xlarge.jpeg

90% of the people here wouldn't say half the **** they say online in person

I'm personally just more concerned about people's feelings in real life than on the internet.

yes, actually we should not even list ECs on the application. Or even have interviews. Just go 100% by numbers and name. Im sure that will always produce the best doctors.

My point was simply that just because you know a lot about med school because your gf is an MS3 doesn't mean that you know everything. Using this logic I may replace Felipe Calderon as the President of Mexico because my bf is Mexican. I think DO is a better option for most people who can't get into a US MD program or for those who are truely interested in learning OMM. I think medical school is mostly what you make of it. My parents are both FMGs and my father is an interventional cardiologist, a very competitive specialty field, so yes I felt the need to point out that you were wrong to say FMGs=MCAT teacher. My point was basically DO is a good option, but why insult those who chose the alternative of the foreign route? It makes you sound very arrogant. Especially since you will most likely matriculate to an MD program here yourself (assuming you don't act the way you act on SDN in your interviews). Gotta go to the cards game. Good night!

My point was simply that just because you know a lot about med school because your gf is an MS3 doesn't mean that you know everything. Using this logic I may replace Felipe Calderon as the President of Mexico because my bf is Mexican. I think DO is a better option for most people who can't get into a US MD program or for those who are truely interested in learning OMM. I think medical school is mostly what you make of it. My parents are both FMGs and my father is an interventional cardiologist, a very competitive specialty field, so yes I felt the need to point out that you were wrong to say FMGs=MCAT teacher. My point was basically DO is a good option, but why insult those who chose the alternative of the foreign route? It makes you sound very arrogant. Especially since you will most likely matriculate to an MD program here yourself (assuming you don't act the way you act on SDN in your interviews). Gotta go to the cards game. Good night!

Good lord, this made me laugh so hard :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.